• Register Today It's free!

taking suggestions for new HU

raginraj

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS 4x4 (4.0L OHV)
So I'm looking to get a new HU and I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm going to get. Still, I figured it would be a good idea to see what kinds of HU's you all have and suggest based on my requirements.

So...

approximately 25 watts RMS x 4
at least 2 AUX inputs
front, rear and sub preamp outs
MP3 CD playback capability

And I'm not big on motorized displays or fancy LCD graphics. The cleaner and simpler the design the better. If an HU has a lot of good features they should be in the internal workings not hanging out on the display.

I eagerly await all your recommendations.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here's my new one. doesn't get much cleaner than that. 6 total buttons and 5 are tiny:

8559h020DXZ945.jpg

Alpine CDA-9835 all the way!

i run the clarion, it destroys the alpine.

i wouldn't trade it for anything, however its main advantage lies in its pro logic II and if you don't run a center channel you won't be able to take advantage of that.

its also very intuitive and easy to use once you get used to the touch interface (takes like 5 minutes).

I agree with the Alpine CDA 9835. That is a nice peice of work. Some things you didn't mention though.
Price, options you want, size, want to play DVD's, XM, Sirius, tell us more of what you want. Not just a head unit. You want to spend $2,000 or do you want to spend $200

huskyfan23 said:
Alpine CDA-9835 all the way!

Can't argue with that

Pioneer DEH-8600

Just installed this one with indash dvd plus tv-tuner via the double din slot
and Xbox under tha back seat and 2 7.2 inch screens one up front and one in the back ,

1995 xlt 4 door

I was figuring on spending $200-$300 on the HU. I don't want to play DVD's or want anything to do with satellite radio. I'll probably add an enclosure with some subs and a dedicated amp in the future but that's a ways down the road. No big deal as long as the HU has preamp outs for the sub.

It's important that there be 2 AUX inputs so that I can wire in my CD changer and get a mini-stereo plug setup for my mp3 player. It would be nice if more decks had AUX input jacks on the front like the AIWA CDC-X504MP. The Alpine 9835 is a little out of my budget... its definately a sick unit and I would love to have it but I'm not ready to drop that much $

Good luck finding 25W RMS for your speakers out of it, you'll see 17-18W RMS, nothing more. Otherwise, the search should be fairly simple.

draft said:
Good luck finding 25W RMS for your speakers out of it, you'll see 17-18W RMS, nothing more. Otherwise, the search should be fairly simple.

He's right, dont get sucked into the PMS ratings that people put on their systems. My Alpine only does 22 watts, thats why I have an Alpine amp powering my speakers.

25W RMS was more of a goal than anything else. Plus I wanted to see if anyone could come up with a deck that I haven't seen yet. I've spent a while doing research and checking prices and features (mainly on crutchfield) and I'll probably go with one of the 22W-23W HU's that I've found. I don't really want to get an amp until I get some subs in the back. The basic plan is to run the door speakers off the deck and then have an amp dedicated to the subs.

rjahr01 said:
what kind of cd changer do you have..you can't wire in a factory cd changer...i don't think you quite know what your doing here....for the money this is probably the best one for you plus you'll need to get the optional rca to ai net imput...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NAZYwP...=300&I=500CDA9827&o=p&a=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=

I have a Kenwood 6-disc FM changer right now but the sound quality through the FM is crap. The changer unit is roughly identical to any other except it has a wired remote and the audio output goes to the little thing they put by your antenna. If you remove the FM setup the changer can be wired to an AUX input source (through the RCA connectors on back) and you can use the wired remote to still control it.

One piece of advice.. When you get a amp for subs.. get a amp for your highs also..

If you don't you will drown out the highs with the subs. (ie sounds like crap).. or when you turn the stereo up loud you will introduce distortion to your highs which will lead to failure.. Like what was said earlier.. Most stereos have no more than 18 watts per channel, the stereos rated at 25w per channel are probably putting out around a real 10watts.

NusenseSD said:
the stereos rated at 25w per channel are probably putting out around a real 10watts.

While this is generally true, it doesn't apply to the higher end Alpines (eg. 9833, 9835) which are rated at 26 watts RMS x 4. This rating is "CEA 2006 Compliant" so it is "real." Here is a quote from www.Crutchfield.com describing what this means...

CEA-2006 Compliant
On May 28, 2003, the Consumer Electronics Association published standard CEA-2006, "Testing & Measurement Methods for Mobile Audio Amplifiers." This "voluntary" standard advocates a uniform method for determining an amplifier's RMS power and signal-to-noise ratio. Using 14.4 volts, RMS watts are measured into a 4-ohm impedance load at 1 percent Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) plus noise, at a frequency range (for general purpose amplifiers) of 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. Signal-to-Noise ratio is measured in weighted absolute decibels (dBA) at a reference of 1 watt into 4 ohms. This applies to both external amplifiers and the amplifiers within in-dash receivers.

CEA-2006 allows consumers to be able to compare car amplifiers and receivers on an equal basis. Manufacturers who choose to abide by the new standard are able to stamp their products with the CEA-2006 logo that reads: "Amplifier Power Standard CEA-2006 Compliant."

true.. but Alpine is the first to adopt the new standards.. Also if you look at their decks they rate them at 50X4 then give the new standard power at 26X4..

What I was refering to is the decks that this person was looking at in the crutchfield magazine that rate at 25wX4 and he is hoping that they will get that same 25x4..

ok well i'm assuming though that when it runs rca's that you will need to also have the optional display upfront...if you already have a kenwood changer see if it is compatible with a kenwood headunit...i know my alpine changer was compatible with my certain alpine headunit but my old pioneer changer was only fm modulated and couldn't connect it to a pioneer head unit

rjahr01 said:
ok well i'm assuming though that when it runs rca's that you will need to also have the optional display upfront...if you already have a kenwood changer see if it is compatible with a kenwood headunit...i know my alpine changer was compatible with my certain alpine headunit but my old pioneer changer was only fm modulated and couldn't connect it to a pioneer head unit

Yeah, I can use the wired remote that originally came with the FM changer to control it. I just plan on bypassing the FM parts and hardwiring the changer into the AUX input.

Back