Taking the Explorer to the beach! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Taking the Explorer to the beach!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is that a packed style sand or like powder? our beach the sand changes drastically from hard /soft /powder/even wet

Mostly powder style, especially in summer; does not take much to get stuck into it.

Well then I got nothing you don't already know. Good luck out there :thumbsup:

ill be back out ther this sunday maybe you can tow me off if i get stuck again....:)

ill be back out ther this sunday maybe you can tow me off if i get stuck again....:)
I always keep a tow strap in passenger side cubby. Never used it on the ex, but have helped out a couple of people along the way. Kind of a southern hospitality thing.

our beach the sand changes drastically from hard /soft /powder/even wet

With those changing conditions I'd play it safe. Really would not hurt to be at 12 psi from the get go, but you also could try 16 or 14 psi and air down as needed if necessary.

Like I posted before, it all depends on the beach. You could be fine at 18 psi on that beach if the "soft" is not too soft. Wet can also be real easy or real tough. Hard to tell until you try it an understand it on a particular beach.

Also, there is a science to beach driving and knowing when to push the gas, how much, and when to let off, but you seem to have the experience.

It's about getting used to what the Ex itself can handle at what psi and under what conditions if it is a new vehicle for you on the sand. Just have to get out and experiment and learn. Report back what you find works and any pics of beach conditions would be great if possible.

A cautionary tale. If you look on the front page of the 5th generation Explorer you will see a sticky thread about the rear brakes dragging. In my case the rear brakes started to drag right after a week long trip to Hatteras in deep sand. Did not put two and two together. This spring the farm road we live on got super muddy after the thaw, I mean caked on the bottom of the car mud. Sure enough two weeks later I noticed the rear brake dragging. Last week I needed to go through a mud bog to get to some work I was doing. Sure enough this weekend the wife was complaining that a rear brake was smoking. So my guess is a highly contaminated environment such as sand driving or going through deep mud exacerbates the existing issues with the rear brakes on this truck. My advice is to keep an eye on it if putting the vehicle through the paces. Personally now I carry a 13mm box wrench and some brake lube in my kit just in case. it only takes a few minutes to service it once you pull the tire. Rather that than driving a truck that is smoking down the road.

How did you make out?

she did good i took hr to sore thumb this time 18psi i went to the end into the deep sand i did notice thr isnt any play time with the explorer i mean with the 06 expi i was able to hot dog around and go over the dunes were alowed but the explorer has to be eased into everything i tried to play a little and it just wants to sink to the fender wells...:thumbdwn: i hav piks but dnt no how to post'em:(

she did good i took hr to sore thumb this time 18psi i went to the end into the deep sand i did notice thr isnt any play time with the explorer i mean with the 06 expi i was able to hot dog around and go over the dunes were alowed but the explorer has to be eased into everything i tried to play a little and it just wants to sink to the fender wells...:thumbdwn: i hav piks but dnt no how to post'em:(
The easiest way is to take out a $20 Elite membership which helps to support the site and lets you post directly from your computer etc. The other way is described in the 'Sticky' section of the New Members Introduction thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Peter

I wonder if thats the difference between the power of the Sport over my NA 6. Maybe that your power is coming on that much faster and thats why she's so quick to dig.

Either way, at least you didn't need to get dragged out.

I wonder if thats the difference between the power of the Sport over my NA 6. Maybe that your power is coming on that much faster and thats why she's so quick to dig.

Either way, at least you didn't need to get dragged out.

thrs always this sunday...:salute:

had the xsport on the beach all weekend without a problem i guess 12 psi makes all the diff...she cut thro all but the dunes...almost tore off the spoiler under the front bumper a couple of the clips came out...I guess ill keep her...

i hav piks but dnt no how to post'em:(

Easiest free way for pics is to go to http://tinypic.com/ and open up a free account. Upload your pics there and they will provide links to the pics you can post on the web. They give you a variety of URL's for the pic. A general link you can just post here, or even links to embed pics into web pages if you have a blog.

had the xsport on the beach all weekend without a problem i guess 12 psi makes all the diff...she cut thro all but the dunes...almost tore off the spoiler under the front bumper a couple of the clips came out...I guess ill keep her...

The Ex is fine once you find the right psi for the beach. I have always been concerned about the front spoiler. One poster here had his cut off. Posted pics. Does not look bad, but I'm keeping mine on because my Escape is my primary beach buggy and I took the front spoiler of that.

The Ex is fine once you find the right psi for the beach. I have always been concerned about the front spoiler. One poster here had his cut off. Posted pics. Does not look bad, but I'm keeping mine on because my Escape is my primary beach buggy and I took the front spoiler of that.

To bad the didnt have an option with quik clips to remove and replace like the cover on the rear for the trailor hitch...My friends jeeps front cover snaps on and off...

I trimmed just the sides off mine and it helped. Haven't noticed any negatives yet.

Bringing up a dead one...

Looking to take my 2015 Exp Sport to the Outer Banks next weekend, specifically Hatteras with South Avon and Buxton and Frisco being the main entry points. Thoughts on how this will do? I will air down as much as possible ~18-20psi, but I have concerns around the ground clearance (not going to rip off or trim or modify the air dam), and low profile tires getting enough ballooning.

I'm experienced with driving on the beach, been doing it for ~18 years, but always in either an F150 or a wrangler with oversized tires (that thing would float over anything) or my '05 Exp XLT. Thankfully I have only been stuck once and I knew it was a risk before driving through the section I went through (flooded out section getting out to the Point in the '05).

I do have the option of borrowing a friends Toyota Sequoia (which is what I did last year), but this year we are looking to go to the mountains immediately following the week at the beach for Labor Day weekend and don't want to have to run back up to Richmond to trade trucks.

Thoughts?

I have been going to Ocracoke/Hatteras since 2012 with my 5th gen, even spent a few days on Portsmouth, where tows are non-existent. Never had an issue, but I am also careful and try not to do anything stupid. I can't picture the air dam actually stopping you, though it may plow down some of the ruts. I do have 17", just for the extra ballooning.

Bringing up a dead one...

Looking to take my 2015 Exp Sport to the Outer Banks next weekend, specifically Hatteras with South Avon and Buxton and Frisco being the main entry points. Thoughts on how this will do? I will air down as much as possible ~18-20psi, but I have concerns around the ground clearance (not going to rip off or trim or modify the air dam), and low profile tires getting enough ballooning.

I'm experienced with driving on the beach, been doing it for ~18 years, but always in either an F150 or a wrangler with oversized tires (that thing would float over anything) or my '05 Exp XLT. Thankfully I have only been stuck once and I knew it was a risk before driving through the section I went through (flooded out section getting out to the Point in the '05).

I do have the option of borrowing a friends Toyota Sequoia (which is what I did last year), but this year we are looking to go to the mountains immediately following the week at the beach for Labor Day weekend and don't want to have to run back up to Richmond to trade trucks.

Thoughts?
bringing your dead one back as well.

any chance you can take a look here and give some input?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back