Taking the Explorer to the beach! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Taking the Explorer to the beach!

I'd love to see some videos or pics of the kind of sand this these '4x4' can handle. Can't wait to try mine out..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Attachments

• explorerdubai---07_001.JPG
    explorerdubai---07_001.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 246

Note that happened with the lower front air dam scoops already removed from that vehicle based on the video. All the early launch videos I have seen of the Ex in sand have the lower front air dam scoops deleted.

I have posted before you have to be careful in deep, soft sand that may be heavy and on dips and uneven surfaces where the air dam can dig in. My concern was getting stuck, but that pics shows you can do some damage.

Too be fair, they were driving awful fast for testing purposes in the sand in that video. Keeping it to 15mph tops should prevent damage if you hit a dip and the front end digs in.

took mine to demo sunday made it to my spot just fine but when i went to leave she just sank....dug it out and had some help pushing got it going then got stuck @ the cut....

took mine to demo sunday made it to my spot just fine but when i went to leave she just sank....dug it out and had some help pushing got it going then got stuck @ the cut....

Were you at 18lbs?

Yeah, sometimes a couple of extra pounds can really help. Especially since you were probably running the big wheels that come with the sport. I have 17" steel ones just for this purpose. The funny thing is lowering the pressure is not so important as far as width goes as much as the length of the tire that is contacting the ground. Generally I look for a pressure where I can roll rather than pull through the sand.

I go 14 psi on parts of Great Point Nantucket and at times lower the rears to 12 if it's feeling real soft. That's with my Escape with 16" wheels. Won't take my Ex up there off the beaten path. Keep the Ex to the trails and areas I know are not too soft and mucky.

took mine to demo sunday

Demo as in Democrat Point? If that's the case that's weird. I was there a week or so before with no issue.

Demo as in Democrat Point? If that's the case that's weird. I was there a week or so before with no issue.

Yes im going to try again this sunday probly sore thumb this time i will go down to 12psi im still going to change out the stock tires the bfg kd look nice...:salute:

Yes im going to try again this sunday probly sore thumb this time i will go down to 12psi im still going to change out the stock tires the bfg kd look nice...:salute:

Whoa! 12 is way low. The last thing you want to do is throw a tire off the bead without a full size spare. The lowest I go is 18 and wouldn't go below 15.

Don take this the wrong way, I'm really not trying to be the obnoxious internet guy, but how much beach driving experience do you have? I left the truck in normal mode and dropped to 18psi driving the same beach without issue.

The tread makes little difference on sand. More aggressive tread, while it looks good, will only dig deeper, faster. The best benefit you will get from a tire change is to go with 17" wheels and that will allow for more sidewall to balloon out when the pressure is lowered. That is a good thing but only to a point. Your ground clearance is going limit you no matter how wide a foot print you get.

18psi, sand mode on the terrain system, stay out of the throttle and don't try to follow the jeep guys and you should be fine. I avoid the beaches at all cost on the weekend but if you're ever heading out mid week shoot me a PM and maybe I could meet you out there and give you some tips.

Whoa! 12 is way low. The last thing you want to do is throw a tire off the bead without a full size spare. The lowest I go is 18 and wouldn't go below 15.

Don take this the wrong way, I'm really not trying to be the obnoxious internet guy, but how much beach driving experience do you have? I left the truck in normal mode and dropped to 18psi driving the same beach without issue.

The tread makes little difference on sand. More aggressive tread, while it looks good, will only dig deeper, faster. The best benefit you will get from a tire change is to go with 17" wheels and that will allow for more sidewall to balloon out when the pressure is lowered. That is a good thing but only to a point. Your ground clearance is going limit you no matter how wide a foot print you get.

18psi, sand mode on the terrain system, stay out of the throttle and don't try to follow the jeep guys and you should be fine. I avoid the beaches at all cost on the weekend but if you're ever heading out mid week shoot me a PM and maybe I could meet you out there and give you some tips.

Note above I posted 14 psi front and 12 psi rear for tough beaches on Nantucket. Front tires are the ones that turn and have the best chance of popping a bead.

I have been at this air pressure for decades of beach driving for rough spots and not a problem. The Coskata-Coatue OSV Permit literature states 12 psi all around and most tourists follow this and I have not seen a prob with popping beads on thousands upon thousands of vehicles over decades on the Refuge beaches. I have seen a lot people get stuck who did not air down enough. I just drive a little fast so I stay 14 psi front for turns. What you don't see are many people getting stuck due to the 12 psi requirement. Technically you are not allowed entry to Great Point at the gatehouse if you are not at 12 psi, but they don't check as long as they see deflation and a sticker with all the vehicles coming through.

http://www.thetrustees.org/assets/documents/places-to-visit/OSV-Driving-Guide.pdf

Town of Nantucket Permit recommends 12-15 psi for their beaches. I have gone down to 10 psi when getting into real mucky stuff and driven miles of beach and have been fine, but I drive nice and slow at 10 psi and turn wide and slow. If I am just hitting an easy beach I might be at 18 psi. Want to be safe and not worry about a bead or getting stuck, 14 psi all around is fine. If still having trouble, go to 12 psi rear. Then 12 psi front if still struggling.

http://www.nantucket-ma.gov/DocumentCenter/View/118

Sorry I didn't see your posting on pressure that low. My concern was not only throwing a bead. The Sore Thumb that he is talking about going to has a pretty rocky section on the access road. I'd hate to see him pinch flat or damage one of those 20's.

I'm gonna take your advice and drop down a bit more next time I go out and see if it's any better.

Sorry I didn't see your posting on pressure that low. My concern was not only throwing a bead. The Sore Thumb that he is talking about going to has a pretty rocky section on the access road. I'd hate to see him pinch flat or damage one of those 20's.

I'm gonna take your advice and drop down a bit more next time I go out and see if it's any better.

From my experience it depends on the beach - and how much driving you will do and if beach conditions will change. If it's an unfamiliar beach I air down quite a bit to play it safe.

It really depends on the beach. On Nantucket, don't need to air down at all on Jetties it is so packed in. 18 psi is fine at 40th Pole. Nobadeer 14-16 psi.

North side of Coatue I'm 12 psi and still concerned about getting stuck due to how soft and mucky the sand is, but if that is where the fish are, that is where I am.

Note I posted above I don't take the Ex into the really mucky and uneven stuff with ridges and dips. I'm concerned about the front air dam digging in. If you look at the pics I posted above, the Escape has good ground clearance and 16" wheels with higher sidewalls. Escape is also lighter so it "floats" over the sand easier. I also removed the front plastic air dam on the Escape.

Nantucket has some real soft and tough stuff. For many beaches an Ex with 20 inch wheels will be fine as posters have indicated.

I've been driving on the beach's since 1976...:salute:...

I have not yet taken our Explorer onto the beach, but I am regularly in the sand (Dubai Desert) with one of my other cars, a SWB Nissan Patrol. I faced hardly any issues riding 10-12psi. You have to be a bit careful with the turns, side way elevations and power application (its not unthinkable that you run the tire of the rim), but on a beach with soft sand that is no issue at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not yet taken our Explorer onto the beach, but I am regularly in the sand (Dubai Desert) with one of my other cars, a SWB Nissan Patrol. I faced hardly any issues riding 10-12psi. You have to be a bit careful with the turns, side way elevations and power application (its not unthinkable that you run the tire of the rim), but on a beach with soft sand that is no issue at all.

is that a packed style sand or like powder? our beach the sand changes drastically from hard /soft /powder/even wet

Back