Tell me about eec v | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tell me about eec v

5litereater

Reaction score
i have a 1998 explorer sport awd it is mostly all a tube chassis now. i cant seam i get it to run . i tore Evey thing out of the wiring harness that i didn't need. i left the engine management harness intact with the pcm from there i wired in all of the key circuits to make it run. all i have is an ignition switch to turn it on and a star button. i tried to fire it up today and with a good out come for the most part. when i first toggle on the ignition all the relays click and the fuel pump comes on for a split second (real fast). so i hit the start button and it cranks but no start. so i check for spark. good spark so i check for fuel at the rail. nothing. so i hot wire the fuel pump (which is after market due to my fuel cell) good pressure at the rail now. so i crank again and still no stat. ok so im cluless now so i grab the can of either (not always the smart thing to do i know) a quick shot of that and crank it again and varoooom it fires up but only for a second. so i think im not getting any fuel past the injectors. did i miss some thing when i was wiring it up? does it have any thing to do with the pats system? to my knowledge i have completely eliminated that but i don't know. need some help here. thank you

I had a very similar problem as to the one you are explaining here. I put a '98 Explorer 5.0 engine/computer into my 78 granada and was having the same problem with no injectors, but good spark. I'll bet 99.9% that your problem has to do with the PATS anti-theft. I had my 1998 ECM wired in without anything extra, about 5 wires into the body of the car total, and it wouldn't spary the injectors, like you say. I looked at the wiring diagram and saw that the 96(or maybe 97?) explorers didnt have this setup. I bought a 96 (or 97, dont remember) pcm without the pats system from a junkyard for $30 and plugged it in, fired right up.

I'd suggest ordering a 96 5.0L explorer/mountaineer ECM from a yard and I'll bet ya it'll run.

Whoooops, just realized this thread is OLD!! LOL, didn't mean to pull it up from the grave!

Back