Temp fix for possibly clogged cats? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Temp fix for possibly clogged cats?

explorer1995

Reaction score
City, State
west palm beach, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 explorer
95 explorer sport 4.0 ohv 108,x.. miles. After driving the car for 15 min or so the performance drops and the car accelerates slowly, loss of power. I am suspecting my cats are clogged but have not ran any tests as of yet. I dont have the money to replace my cats at this time, anyone know of a way to temp fix that problem? or if i should go another route? i have no check engine light when the loss of power occurs or even before. thank you

things done to the car:
-new fuel filter ( 10 miles ago)
-cleaned iac, maf sensor and inlet air sensor ( 90 miles ago)
-new tps (200 miles ago)
-full tune up (plugs and wires) (200 miles ago)
-seafoam in gas tank (50 miles ago)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you ever figure it out mine is doing pretty much the same thing

I'm not implying that it is appropriate to do so - hammer a pipe thru the cats if you can get that kind of access. If it runs better then you should replace your cats as it is illegal to not have cats, and it will most likely sound like garbage with punched cats.

I suggest waiting to hear from someone on here about another possable solution tho. I'm not sure if clogged cats would cause that kind of behavior, but I dont know where else to look. Have you check the fuel pressure? Maybe get a fuel pressure gauge in your truck and watch it to see what it does.

95 explorer sport 4.0 ohv 108,x.. miles. After driving the car for 15 min or so the performance drops and the car accelerates slowly, loss of power. I am suspecting my cats are clogged but have not ran any tests as of yet. I dont have the money to replace my cats at this time, anyone know of a way to temp fix that problem? or if i should go another route? i have no check engine light when the loss of power occurs or even before. thank you

things done to the car:
-new fuel filter ( 10 miles ago)
-cleaned iac, maf sensor and inlet air sensor ( 90 miles ago)
-new tps (200 miles ago)
-full tune up (plugs and wires) (200 miles ago)
-seafoam in gas tank (50 miles ago)

Check the fuel pump relay socket--look real closely for heat damage on the lug the relay plugs into.
Try "swapping" this relay with another in the power box, see if this helps.
The fuel pump may be getting weak.

Check the ECT sensor

I suspect fuel delivery issues. A clogged cat would be clogged always, regardless of temperature.

Highly probable that you have clogged cats (and probably CEL codes indicating fuel mixture issues). Clogs cause lack of intake because of "back pressure" from the exhaust resulting in loss of power amongst other things. "Temporary solution" is to pull the cats and replace with straight pipes. Run and see if things improve. IF SO, then you likely need to replace the cats BUT NOT before you address the fuel / air / mixture / firing issues otherwise you will likely be back again. IF NOT, then you can look else where in the system and if your "cut out" / "pull" work was good, you can put the cats back, none the worse for wear so to speak.

you could try taking a rubber mallet to the outside of it to try and loosen up all the crap.

Yeah I have a 5.0 AWD 2001 Explorer and notice when the car has been really warmed up (driving after 20mins or so) the car seems sluggish compared to the power it has when cold.

It doesnt stumble, doesnt have bad idle, doesnt make weird sounds. My car acts like its running just fine, but with 50 hourses just pulled out of the engine or something, lol.

OP, is that what it feels like for you?

See mine is throwing one code saying the o2 sensor has a slow response and I have replaced the o2 sensor and I am still getting it I'm not saying jam a hole in my cats I just want to know if there is a way to check of there clogged before tearing it all apart

Yeah I have a 5.0 AWD 2001 Explorer and notice when the car has been really warmed up (driving after 20mins or so) the car seems sluggish compared to the power it has when cold.

It doesnt stumble, doesnt have bad idle, doesnt make weird sounds. My car acts like its running just fine, but with 50 hourses just pulled out of the engine or something, lol.

OP, is that what it feels like for you?

Change your fuel filter and run some techron in a tank of high test and see if that helps.

See mine is throwing one code saying the o2 sensor has a slow response and I have replaced the o2 sensor and I am still getting it I'm not saying jam a hole in my cats I just want to know if there is a way to check of there clogged before tearing it all apart

There's no way to check externally.

I think an exhaust shop will drill a hole into the exhaust, ahead of the cat and install a pressure gauge fitting to check the cats. On our trucks this can be tricky though on the passenger side.

Idk bout the pressure gauge but I heard the check the temps its cooler going in and should be hotter coming out

have you ever changed your upstream o2 sensors? don't go banging on your cats with a hammer, if they're not bad you'll likely ruin them. if you believe it's the cats, have it checked at the exhaust shop. with 108k, my money's on o2 sensors.

Back