P0430 Possible Defective O2 Sensor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0430 Possible Defective O2 Sensor?

muskegolake

Reaction score
City, State
Palatine, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
So here's my issue...

I recently replaced both O2 sensors on bank 2.

Within a week, I had the P0430 code pop (Catalyst Efficiency Low). I cleared the code and drove for a week before I went on a 500 mile trip and the CEL popped again.

The vehicle idles fine and revs to over 5000 RPM fine when in park. Once in drive and under power, it chugs and sputters.

Is it possible that I have a defective sensor out of the box? It seems to me that a clogged cat would cause it to run poorly in park as well as under load.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. There are no other symptoms but the poor driveability under power.

An addition to this...

I disconnected the battery overnight last night and restarted this morning. CEL off all the way to work and driveability issues gone.

Does ANYONE know what is up with this thing?

An update...

Autozone strikes again... It was NOT a P0430 but a P0340 code... Camshaft position sensor.

Through further testing and trial, it was the freaking alternator going bad again. Whatever remanufactured alternators Merlin in Illinois is using are garbage. This is the 2nd one.

Went to Napa, got the Napa Premium with the 2 yr warranty and she runs like a dream!

Back