Temperature gauge dance-no overheating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Temperature gauge dance-no overheating

chrisis

Reaction score
City, State
Murray, kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer xls
when i start my 96 explorer this morning i realise as i was driving that my temperature gauge is moving around more than normal.

i drove it for 30 minutes to see if its overheating, but it never pass halfway the gauge.

is that a thermostat or something else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on where your driving. Driving around the city does cause the guage to dance quite a bit with all the stop-and-go traffic.

Off roading in 4LO also does the same thing and I've noticed the temp gauge dancing quite a bit depending on how steep the trail is.

BTW halfway point is a little on the warm side. When was the last time you flushed the coolant and ensured proper coolant/water mixture?

i drove it again this afternoon.

when i stop is going halfway and when i start is droping drammatically.

in the highway with cruise control at 55 miles per hour is playing again in the first half range.

i just check the coolant and i add some before a few months, but because it stays green i didn`t flush it yet.

i just have k&n cold intake and 2" cat back exhaust with full synthtic to my differentials, transfer case and engine.

could be your thermostat sticking, or could be the sensor is going bad

if the thermostat is sticky then is not suppost to overheat a few times?

it would depend on how much it's sticking, sometimes the spring gets a little crooked and the shaft will stick enough to run a little hot but all of a sudden it will pop open bringing the temp down.

when i stop is going halfway and when i start is droping drammatically.

in the highway with cruise control at 55 miles per hour is playing again in the first half range.

i just check the coolant and i add some before a few months, but because it stays green i didn`t flush it yet.

i just have k&n cold intake and 2" cat back exhaust with full synthtic to my differentials, transfer case and engine.

water pump?

if the thermostat is sticky then is not suppost to overheat a few times?

I would do a maintenance on your cooling system. Flush the coolant, replace the thermostat and refill with new coolant. Should cost around $15-20 if you do it yourself. Good cheap insurance for the health of your explorer.

-Tim

i just finish installing thermostat and flush the coolant.

i install the thermostat same way like the one i took out, but it matters if i put it upsite down?

i drove the car for 30 minutes and nothing change. gauge is playing in the first halfway and the most of the time runs cold.

any suggestions?

sounds like the gauge sensor is going out, mine does the same thing...take it to a repuatibe shop and have them plug their OBDII computer into the truck...explorers have two temp sensors, one for the gauge and one for the computer...if the one on the computer is telling the scanner the temp is staying the same then you gauge sensor is going out, and it only costs about 20 bucks for the sensor, and its easy to replace....right on top of t-stat housing.

See Post #11 for resistance values and sensor locations on the OHV
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168714

The engine should heat up (idling in traffic), the thermostat will open and the vehicle will cool down. The needle will rise and fall accordingly. This will become most noticable during cool weather. In hotter weather the thermostat will remain open and the gauge won't go up and down. In cold weather it may not open the thermostat. On the highway it should remain steady, the air going over the block will keep it cool.

the problem i notice the difference in temperature at highway speed 55 mph and using cruise control.

i will check tomorrow the temperature sensor and go from there.

thanks

I change the 2 sensors at the top of the thermostat and the gauge it doesn`t dance any more.

thanks guys for your help

:thumbsup: Glad to hear it!

Plan B was to keep the radio off of music stations or replace the dancing gauge with one built by Mormons. :D

i first replace the thermostat, but nothing changed. then i replace the 2 sensors at the top of the thermostat housing and problem fixed.

Its been unseasonably warm here in the NE and the temp gauge in my 97 Sport has acted normally until today when it turned much colder and now the gauge is totally dead, it barely lifts off of the line. Does the outside temp have anything to do with this or is it just a coincidence?

Regards,
Barry
97 Sport
:help:

I was going to suggest burping the cooling system. My coolant is pretty much new, as with the themostat. After Ford replaced the heater control valve, my temp guage fluctuates.

Back