Temperature indicator pegged @ hot followed by check engine light then limp mode | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Temperature indicator pegged @ hot followed by check engine light then limp mode

Critterstrailmix

Reaction score
City, State
GOLDTHWAITE, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
Truck does NOT overheat! No boil over, I can still touch hoses, slight smell of antifreeze. All fluids are full. Replaced Cylinder Head Temperature sensors (CHT) based off Code P1299 Which was quite the undertaking that didn't fix the issue!
Having battery unhooked reset code. Thought it was fixed. Drove 1 mile, REPEAT! Stuck on side of road, it dies, but after about 15 mins, full power for about 15 to 20 seconds, then limp mode. AC works, heat does not blow hot. It doesn't make sense that a thermostat stuck open would cause the TI to peg Hot, check engine light to come on and truck to go into limp mode, but stranger things have happened.
Anyone have any idea of what I need to replace next, or the actual solution? I have googled to the end of Google looking for a solution.
Thanks so much.

Attachments

• 20201002_181346.jpg
    20201002_181346.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 223

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like water pump is out, smell of antifreeze and no heat on heater indicates no fluid, or fluid not flowing..
check the weep hole on the water pump, check to see if there is water in your oil.

sounds like water pump is out, smell of antifreeze and no heat on heater indicates no fluid, or fluid not flowing..
check the weep hole on the water pump, check to see if there is water in your oil.
Water is circulating, oil checks fine. Slight smell of antifreeze. No fluid on ground, belt or anywhere I can see.

I had the same problem with the same code, pegged temp gauge, no real overheating. Advice from another forum was that it needed a different thermostat and recommended a Reische 170° High Performance Part # FORD-4S. It works a little differently than a stock thermostat. It didn't seem logical given the symptoms, but for a few dollars I gave it a try. I paid $39 and changed it myself. That solved my problem, no problems since (about two and a half years).

?? Thermostat stuck/ sticking ??

not enough coolant.
Is the fill procedure a little different on this truck? (i thought it is - lift front end, fill with cap off...thermostat need to open to get air out when filling - it should start overflowing)
blowing cold could be the the valve to core is closed if there is one.

Back