Temperature question - Is this normal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Temperature question - Is this normal?

spta97

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
NY, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0 AWD
This morning it was pretty cold (14 degrees F) and I started my X with the remote starter and let it warm for about 15 minutes. I then got it it and drove to the train station (only about 5 minutes away). I was a little early so I waited in the truck with the heat on.

I started to watch the temp gauge go down as I sat there with the engine running. Is that normal? I was really cold but I figured the truck would get up to temp even though the engine was at idle. Should I be worried?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

same thing happened to me last night.. my explorer usually runs at or before the N on the guage, i left work last night at 9:45 and it was 9 degrees out.. drove home on the interstate, heater blazin.. read alot cooler, must be the ambient air temp plus youre releasin heat through the heater. just my opinion.

Mine does the same (always runs cool according to gauge). Even in the summer it barely creeps into the "normal" range.

mine never get's over 1/2 way (since i installed the Flowmaster exhaust - flowmaster says b/c of the increased flow, your engine will run cooler).

I'm kinda wondering about a temp related thing as well. This morning I start my truck up to go to work, it was prob about 15* at the most out and there was a terrible whine from the engine for about 20 secs plus my power steering was really hard to move at first. I had to go lock to lock before it loosed up, I just recently put some lucas power steering treatment in there, is it possible its to thick? Also how could i tell if my battery is about to die? kinda chugged a lil before it finally fired up.

head to autozone and have the batt tested b4 you find out the hard way.

Does it (whine) sound like the PS pump?

the ps whine is bc of the cold.. the fluid gets thick, and is harder to move through everything.. mine has been doin the same thing recently. the battery.. thats where Cold Cranking Amps comes in, head down to advance auto parts, theyll check your battery, the hard starting is most likely just because of the cold wearther affecting that battery.

Heater Temps

The engine heat doesn't seem to be building, in the block to produce hot water/antifeeze for the heater. I had the same problem once myself, and it didn't become evident until I needed heat. What I found to be the problem was this..........The thermostat was stuck open. This will not allow the water/antifeeze solution time to get warm from the block, thus no heat for the heater. This will also effect the way your engine runs over time. Just observations from my past experiance..........."pear"

I figured the fluid was real thick due to the extreme cold but I wanted to make sure I wasn't damaging the pump because of the thicker lucas fluid in there, which looks surprisingly similar to the tranny fluid additive they sell. I'd be a bit pissed off it they were one in the same.

pear said:
The engine heat doesn't seem to be building, in the block to produce hot water/antifeeze for the heater. I had the same problem once myself, and it didn't become evident until I needed heat. What I found to be the problem was this..........The thermostat was stuck open. This will not allow the water/antifeeze solution time to get warm from the block, thus no heat for the heater. This will also effect the way your engine runs over time. Just observations from my past experiance..........."pear"

That's what I was afraid of. I just put in a thermostat over the summer (AutoZone) and it worked fine then - although I could not tell of a open thermostat problem in the summer. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it does. It seems that other people also had a similar problem but this is something I have never seen before. Once a vehicle gets up to operating temp it stays there in my experiance.

How much antifreeze would I loose by doing just a thermostat replacement?

Heater Temps

Yes that is how the thermostat works it should remain closed until you reach operating temp then slowly open to allow fluid to flow thru the block, radiator, heater and soforth. It's not uncommon to buy a bad one from what I hear. You can test them by placing them in a pan of cool water on the stove slowly heat the water, and watch it open, turn the heat off and watch it close when the water cools. If it works that way you know you have a good theromstat..............Hope this helps........"pear"

Antifreeze lose.............

I'd say if you are careful and remove the hose into a bucket, you will not lose hardly any. Also be very careful as antifeeze is instant death to pets, and they love it !! I guess it has a sweet taste to them. Anyway I'm sure you can recover nearly all of the antifreeze if your careful. ALWAYs REMEMBER TO WORK ON THE COOLING SYSTEM AFTER ENGINE IS COOL !!!!!..........."pear"

Four0Sport said:
be pissed... they are one in the same
I was afraid of that, in the summer time I used a lil of the tranny treatment in there, but only about a basterful, this time I pulled the line and let it drain out so maybe thats why this time was a bit more "sucessful" it certainly has quited down. Oh well i'm getting ready to do a tranny fluid change to so now I have some additive to throw in there.

I had my X for 2 years and it always ran cool till I changed the T-stat now it runs at the right tempature gets heat faster too. Wheres Vienna WV I'm in Grantsville and Harrisville WV often great state.

In Rt. 50 too Parkersburg, Vienna is a suburb of P-burg

I take Rt 50 from RT 77 to Harrisville and use to sit in the IGA parking lot on 50 for Parkersburg Fireworks show on the 4th

FYI an open T stat will make your MPG go down, so if you suspect you have one change it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds normal to me, temps around here are like -5 to around -20 so far. You can tell when the t-stat opens, it'll go from N to almost off the guard really quick. The power steering pump whine won't hurt anything, mine does it everyday. Just put some cardboard in front of the radiator. ;)

:chug: :chug:

Back