TEXANS Serious about Slabs run. | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TEXANS Serious about Slabs run.

Hopefully we don't have real sand burgers like last time :rolleyes:

I'll bring paper goods: plates, papertowels, some plasticware (we probably don't need too much of that) and some cups (most of us will be drinking out of our own bottles unless we get 2-3 liters). I'll also bring a box of garbage bags.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had mentioned earlier in the post that I was going to be responsible for whatever I am in need of out there. I figured we would all just bring you own items and food. This is what I am doing this year. Makes it easier for me to shop. Anywho, Someone just post where we will be meeting and how I can get there from Jareds house. He He.

Randall and Michael? I know you both tow your exploders like I. Will you be doing the smart thing and towing it all the way to the slabs? I would rather do thi s as I have no tail lighst and all registration is out since it just sits all year. Let me know.

I think Michael and Randall will both be driving there Explorers out there. I dont mind bringing my own food, but if that is the case we need to make a stop before heading out. I just dont have a place to cook my burgers. :rolleyes:

I dont either. I may be bringing something alot easier for dinner as Cooking has always been a pain in my butt. You think Randall is going to drive it out there w/ all the probs he has been having?

We got home late last night from Las Cruces with no more further problems.

It's still looking negative for this event. :(

The quote on new parts for my truck from this last weekends mayhem is almost $300. Inner and outer driver's side tie-rod ends, and a new driver's side driveshaft. That's the discounted price. The retail pricing is about $400. And let's not forget I would need an alignment after putting the parts on.
So, to get parts in and get them installed by Thursday night doesn't look good.
And of course I have to sit down and see if I can afford this. LOL
Anyway, I'll keep ya posted. If I get fixed up by Sat. morning, maybe we'll head out and try to find ya'll.

Cya,
John

Randall and I will be driving the Ex's out there. Randall's is running fine now and will continue to do so because I fixed it ;). I won't tow to the slab because there is no where good to park and I won't leave my F250 and trailer on the side of the road there. Kris I will be bringing my grill and you are welcome to cook on it. We are planning to roll out of here at 6:30 on Sat morning and may just meet you at Eagle Rock or catch you on the way. We will be on Channel 5. And remember everyone, Kingsland is in a dry county. If you want it, bring it with you :chug:. I am also watching the weather on www.weather.com and as of now we have a 30-40% chance of rain both Sat and Sun.

Brian, I've determined that you're blind ;) I posted directions to the Walmart we'll be meeting at (Executive Decision I guess). Use that page to get directions. You can also park your trailer there, it's been done before (but I bear no responsibility).

Kris or Randall, why don't you come up with a time to meet. I'll be driving in from Houston that morning, I just need to know what time I need to leave.

Oh, another note: I think that Walmart is 24hrs, but it does not have a full grocery store. Oh, and I guess I'll bring my own food and some paper goods. Kris, I'll have a (really) small butane camping stove, dunno if it's decent for burgers though.

Sorry to hear that John, I was looking forward to wheeling with you again. Good luck on getting her up and going again.

Brian, if you want, you could just follow me to where we're meeting in the morning. But my address is
3803A Run of the Oaks St.
Austin, TX 78704
Phone number - 512-462-9937
Yeah, I have a driveway... My sched for friday is nothing, I'll probably be sitting around or doing last minute fixes on the X so I should be around all day.

Alright, I'm caravaning with Michael, Randall, etc. We're probably only stopping in Austin for gas. We'll meet y'all in Kingsland or at the airdown point.

Originally posted by Trckmagik
Randall and Michael? I know you both tow your exploders like I.

I have never towed my vehicle to a trail. Only on the way home ;)

Originally posted by Michael
Randall and I will be driving the Ex's out there. Randall's is running fine now and will continue to do so because I fixed it ;).

Geez, show up to drink beer and then act like you did all the work ;) LOL. Everything seems to be doing fine and I plan on driving it out to the Slabs.

Okay. Jared. I will meet you on Friday then. We are leaving Dallas around 3 pm on Friday. I will call as we get close to Austin.

For those that know how to get to the Slabs, please post as I have no clue.

Sounds good Brian, and I'll be following him to the slabs so give him good directions :D Also, can we get a head count of who all is coming just for my own curiosity?

Im coming........ :confused:

Directions to the Slab:

According to the map I looked at go North on 183, hang a left onto 1431 and follow to Kingsland. Somewhere in Kingsland is where you make the left down to the river, I don't know exactly where.

Okay I know where to make the left to the river if its the way we always go. Through town?

Guys,

I was just reading this topic and if any of you have 2wd there is going to be allot of pulling from the SAND. The sand at the SLABS is extremely soft. My X is not 4wd and would not attempt it. But I do have a 4wd Nissan and when I try to go to the sand I got stuck quick,, maybe made it about 5 yards. Yes my tires were air down to 15 psi (31's). I had to engage my 4wd to get through the sand. But if some of u guys be patient with the pulling the 2wd out then that be cool. I say U only have to go about ummmmm 2 miles before u get out of the sand and to the true area of THE SLABS. But that place is fun. Well worth the trip.

Originally posted by Alec
I don't remember, what highways do we take to get out there? I know we leave from the North end of town, so maybe the HEB or Randalls just North of the Arboretum on 183?

Its easy to get there. I know 2 -ways to get there on the north side of town in Austin. I say this is a nice scenic route.

From HWY 183 go north. take a LEFT on HWY 1431 keep going untill U see a road 3404 (it will be a long way... you'll pass some bridges and see the highland lakes).. Once u get to RM 3404 take an left (U can only turn left) it will take u straight to THE SLABS -CANT MISS IT-!! . Enjoy!!

- For Dallas Peps... U can go down I-35 (south) and take exit HWY 1431 (take right) heading WEST, and cross over hwy 183 and keep going. (follow the directions above).

I have no idea where u guys are meeting at,,, but I think u all should meet at the corner of HWY 183 and HWY 1431 at the ALBERTSONS Parking lot.
(I know this area,,, because I live around there ;) )

Check these pics out when our TX4x4 club whet out.
Dead Link Removed
-oh btw... these pics of my nissan was all stock. I did have a hard time and I was limited of climbing allot of the rocks in stock mode... but now I am nt stock anymore.
Heh.. I wish my X was 4wd... i be out there in a heart beat w/ u guyZ!!!!

I'm stopping to meet wherever Michael and Randall do ;)

As for the 2wd thing, I've been out there on 31s and know. I got pulled out a few times until we made it to the hot tub (campsite). After that I just had to stop because the water was too high.

Well now I'm on 33s so hopefully I'll do better. Like I said before, I don't want to be too much of a burden to the group, I just want to get my truck to the campsite. After that I can play around a bit but leave it around there if I need to. Leaving from the campsite last time, Gerald and I just left the strap between our 2 trucks. I made it almost the whole way and only needed 2 yanks. We drove very carefully as to keep slack in the strap. We made it in about 10-15 minutes cause we just kept moving.

Kris, I am having a little bit of trouble remembering where I put my grill after the last time I used it. I am thinking now that I will just bring food that I do not have to cook. I hope that doesn't mess up your plans too much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No Problem. I will keep that in mind.

Back