That's it guys, I'm doing it, project Explorer!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

That's it guys, I'm doing it, project Explorer!!!

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
So I know this will take a lot of work, but I am going to be making a "sleeper" 2nd gen Explorer Sport, with a 302 nitrous motor… so first thing is first, I need the truck, I think I will have to travel for this because I want a 2wd one… I can get an engine and Trans for about $600 from the local junk yard, obviously a complete rebuild on the engine is needed, no big deal, and I am thinking a reverse manual 4r70w to top it off, with some 3.73 gears. The goal will be a streetable, reliable, and more importantly a fun Explorer that nobody will expect, I am going to try and do it on the cheap, by doing all the work myself. the project name is going to be named "The Spanish Inquisition", because nobody will expect it, lol. So this is going to be my build thread, I know I am starting it a bit early considering I am saving now and not buying the truck until early spring, but if anybody knows of a 2wd ex for sale for a decent price close to northern IL, let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This will be fun to see.

You really need to get your elite back, it's weird not seeing a pic for you.

I know, This site has helped me out so much, I think after I get my tires on I will renew it, but right now every little bit helps, need to get the tires on before the snow falls. Then saving for this project, can't wait to find one to buy though.

Appear to look stock. Being somewhat fast, enough to beat TBSS, the cheap part is goin to be the labor, I will do everything, parts will not be cheaped out on. I am hoping for 14s? On leaf springs and nitrous, faster with a four link and a turbo. We'll see I'm doing it right, I just want something that will piss everybody off, lol.

Enjoy my Sport

I enjoy the looks of my 2000 Sport which is why I picked it as my project vehicle. As far as being a "sleeper" I guess you mean that it will be faster than stock with the V8 which Ford didn't offer in the Sport. I added an M90 for driving pleasure but that didn't make my Sport fast compared to new vehicles. Our new Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 3.6L V6 is rated at 290 bhp. A 2014 Toyota Camry with a 3.5L V6 is rated at 268 bhp. Most of the people with new vehicles that you "beat" on the street will just be accelerating normally when you're racing them. Your project will be challenging and rewarding and you'll learn a lot and get a feeling of accomplishment but don't expect to win many races.

I enjoy the looks of my 2000 Sport which is why I picked it as my project vehicle. As far as being a "sleeper" I guess you mean that it will be faster than stock with the V8 which Ford didn't offer in the Sport. I added an M90 for driving pleasure but that didn't make my Sport fast compared to new vehicles. Our new Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 3.6L V6 is rated at 290 bhp. A 2014 Toyota Camry with a 3.5L V6 is rated at 268 bhp. Most of the people with new vehicles that you "beat" on the street will just be accelerating normally when you're racing them. Your project will be challenging and rewarding and you'll learn a lot and get a feeling of accomplishment but don't expect to win many races.

I am not afraid to go crazy with it down the road, my goal for now is simply to beat, or match most stock ss trailbalzers on the road, and go from there. I think I can get the weight down enoughh, and produce enough power to do that, and then my next will be the new musle cars, well some of them, I'm not afrian to go full custom, becuase big vehicles going fast is just cool. :D

The mono-leaf springs are considerably lighter than the multi-leaf springs. Stock steel wheels are heavier than mag wheels. In my opinion the side bars just get in the way and are fairly heavy.

Take out the a/c, stock fuel tank for a fuel cell, say goodbye to the spare, agm battery, and most likely manual cloth seats. Grated I want to drive it a lot, so I will compromise between weight and comfort.

So kind of like Ford's version of the TB SS if I am understanding this correctly? Interesting. I agree with StreetRod that after all your work, you'll probably only barely be matching most "stock" vehicles today.

But I'm excited to see where this goes and I wish you the best of luck with everything!

I don't see how it can be that slow, with enough weight reduction, and power, I feel like it can be pretty fast, if Larry Larson can make a s-10 go 6.16 for drag week, anything is possible.

im making 250hp and around 320ft/lbs torque (at the tires), and my best run at the strip was 15 flat. you have to remember a few things. you are trying to push a 4500 pound truck that has the aerodynamics of a loaf of bread down the road with 15 year old technology

im making 250hp and around 320ft/lbs torque (at the tires), and my best run at the strip was 15 flat. you have to remember a few things. you are trying to push a 4500 pound truck that has the aerodynamics of a loaf of bread down the road with 15 year old technology

I understand that, but I will be significantly lighter then that, and with a built nitrous engine it may even make more power. I am beginning to think a custom computer may be better then a modified stock one, haven't decided yet. If anything the aerodynamics will be my biggest struggle. I am still shooting for 14s, and I feel like I can get there. Sure it may take some time and a lot of money, but it will be fun, and I just want to see jaws drop when I kick some but at the strip, lol.

so i know this will take a lot of work, but i am going to be making a "sleeper" 2nd gen explorer sport, with a 302 nitrous motor… so first thing is first, i need the truck, i think i will have to travel for this because i want a 2wd one… i can get an engine and trans for about $600 from the local junk yard, obviously a complete rebuild on the engine is needed, no big deal, and i am thinking a reverse manual 4r70w to top it off, with some 3.73 gears. The goal will be a streetable, reliable, and more importantly a fun explorer that nobody will expect, i am going to try and do it on the cheap, by doing all the work myself. The project name is going to be named "the spanish inquisition", because nobody will expect it, lol. So this is going to be my build thread, i know i am starting it a bit early considering i am saving now and not buying the truck until early spring, but if anybody knows of a 2wd ex for sale for a decent price close to northern il, let me know.

mine!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subscribing!

Back