• Register Today It's free!

Projection Headlights?

DixieOnMyMind59

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
Is there any aftermarket company that make a true projection headlight assemby for the 1995-2001 Explorer (for my 1999 in particular)? I would love to go to HID's but the thing that bothers me is that factory HIDs (ie: BMWs & MERCEDES) are sharply focused to have a precise beam pattern - very different from halogen light patterns which "flood" light in front of the vehicle. Do yall know what im talking about? Im assuming that with projection headlights and HID bulbs, it will focus the light beam, somehow. Someone please correct me and help me out because i know i am wrong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there isnt a company that makes a specific housing kit available for the ford explorers

Well, is there any solution for an HID kit where the beam pattern is "HID style" and not the halogen (factory) beam pattern?

if you retrofit a kit its somewhat possible however you still have to deal with the light traveling through the crappy stock ford lenses

I saw a guy on the internet that used some HID projectors from a BMW X5 and cut a hole in his stock lenses and inserted them inside. Thats not what i want to do though. So there is no solution for HIDs with the HID beam pattern for a '95-'99 Explorer?

I bought diamond cut headlights and retrofitted BMW projectors into them.
*NOTE pics below show shots of 12000k bulbs, I still have stock 4300k. You can buy the kits cheap now at www.hidplanet.com (projectors, ballasts, ignitors, and bulbs. All phillips I believe)
DSC00151.JPG

DSC00149.JPG

DSC00068.JPG

can you post more photos about the actual installation of that bmw projector? it looks awesome but i can't figure out how you did it...

Thats crazy hard looking to do but thats what i want! How the heck did you retrofit them things? You should do some more and sell them...I would buy!

wjg said:
can you post more photos about the actual installation of that bmw projector? it looks awesome but i can't figure out how you did it...

Try the SEARCH function. He did a thread somewhere about the mod. He did an awesome job on it. I would have attempted it if I knew I wouldn't trash the housings. I don't have a lot of confidence in my abilities. ;)

I just mounted a regular HID kit in my stock housings. AF doesn't like it when people do it that way, but I'm happy with the results and I don't get people flashing me so mission accomplished.

I was looking for projection lights too, but I decided to use a H4-conversion kit cause I can´t get the cristal clear headlamps over here. Of coarse, it´s not the same, but I´m very pleased with this solution.

H4 halogen :
XP2-Xenon-009.jpg

XP2-H4.jpg

5500 k Xenon :
XP2-Xenon-008.jpg

XP2-Xenon.jpg

You can use the projectors from other kinda cars / mfs., often theyre offered at ebay. Just need to care about the bulbs, most are D2S and I don´t know how easy it is to get replacement in the states if they die.

DixieOnMyMind59 said:
Thats crazy hard looking to do but thats what i want! How the heck did you retrofit them things? You should do some more and sell them...I would buy!

Lets just say it was a lot of luck and a lot of slick thinking. Basically I bought a pair of Diamond Cut headlights, opened them up, cut a big hole in the back to fit the projector, mounted and sealed it up. Took about 2 full days work for 16 hours of cussing, cutting, measuring, and tweaking. Bad thing is no one with my gen explorer has done this to my knowledge so I had to think of a lot of stuff off the top of my head. Honestly, you couldnt pay me enough to do another set (ok maybe you could but it would be a lot) because it was a PAIN IN THE @$$. Its also hard mounting the ballast and ignitors to make them 100% water proof. (with the new kits off hidplanet.com however they are MUCH easier due to longer wires) Do some homework and it should come to you

Back