The 4.0 teardown and rebuild thread. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The 4.0 teardown and rebuild thread.

slammed98z

Reaction score
City, State
Branson West, Missouri 65737
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 2DR
Finally got around to tearing into my 1996 4.0 OHV that has been having a fuming and dead miss.

Did the compression test last week and came up with

#1 95
#2 75
#3 0
#4 90
#5 95
#6 95

Decided to tear into the engine and see what is wrong. Here is a Complete tear down thread with as many pictures as i could take. THIS IS A VERY VAGUE WRITE UP OF THE TEAR DOWN PROCESS. FOR THE MECHANICALLY INCLINED PERSON WHO CAN FIGURE A FEW THINGS OUT ON THEIR OWN.

ENGINE IS GOING TO BE RE RINGED IN THE VEHICLE.
Step #1- Remove battery cable.

Step #2- Remove Hood by Removing 4 8mm Bolts.

IMAGE_032.jpg

Step #3- Remove the air intake system. Unplug MAF and IAT sensors.

IMAGE_033.jpg

Step #4- Drain Radiator and remove both radiator Hoses. Radiator is attached to the core support with 2 10mm bolts. I have a eletric fan, but most of you guys will need to remove the clutch fan before removing the radiator.

IMAGE_035.jpg

Step #5- Remove the accessory belt and the alternator bracket, alternator bracket is held to the head with 3 13mm bolts, Unplug the alternator and undo the 10 mm nut that holds the power wire to the back of the alternator. Then remove the 2 Heater core lines, one attaches to the intake and one to the water pump.

IMAGE_036.jpg
IMAGE_037.jpg
IMAGE_038.jpg
IMAGE_038.jpg

Step #6- Remove the A/C pump, there is 4 13mm bolts on top of the ac pump, remove the Pressure and return hoses from the power steering pump. The A/C and P/S pumps bracket is held to the head via 2 13mm nuts attached at the waterpump and 1 13mm bolt that goes into the head.
IMAGE_041.jpg
IMAGE_046.jpg
IMAGE_050.jpg

Step #7- Remove the coil pack by Unbolting the 1 13mm bolt from the head in between the middle and back exhaust ports, then remove the 2 10mm bolts from the intake.
IMAGE_042.jpg

Step #8 unplug the necessary sensors from the intake manifold which are as follows DPFE sensor and hoses, TPS sensor, Some solonid sensor, unhook the 2 vaccume lines from the rear of the drivers side of the manifold, Unhook the throttle cables and remove the throttle cable bracket. Unhook the Evap hose from the bottom of the throttle body.

IMAGE_043.jpg
IMAGE_044.jpg

This will be the aftermath of removing the intake.

Step #9 Remove all the vac plumbing as well as the engine harness which has a few plugs scattered all over the engine. Remove the fuel lines from the fuel rail.

IMAGE_051.jpg
IMAGE_047.jpg

Step #10 Remove both valve covers and rocker shafts. Be sure to loosen the rocker shafts evenly across the three bolts.

IMAGE_052.jpg
IMAGE_053.jpg

Step #11 Remove the 10mm bolts that hold the lower intake manifold to the heads.

IMAGE_054.jpg

Step #12 Remove the 2 Collector Bolts from each exhaust manifold, and then the 6 10mm bolts that hold the manifolds to the heads.

No pictures of this sorry.

Step #13 Loosen the 8 Head bolts with a T-55 torx socket. Discard the bolts, they are Stretch style. Gently pry the heads off with a flat screw driver.

IMAGE_056.jpg

MORE TO FOLLOW.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Reserved for updates.

Updates #2

Can you reattach the pics?

I am about to remove and replace the heads on my 4 liter OHV...If I can ask, are there bolts or studs holding the exhaust manifolds onto the heads? I am probably going to replace the manifold fasteners and if they unbolt great but if not they will meet up with a sawzall...

I would just like to see what you encountered when you tore your engine apart..

Thanks ..

the exhaust manifolds are held on with bolts. mine came out easy.

i know of this. i had abandoned this thread due to lack of interest.

Back