The best location to mount an antenna | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The best location to mount an antenna

What is the best location to mount a CB antenna ?

What is the best CB antenna ?

The area that seems to work the best on the explorer is ontop of the roof in the middle. I myself have mine mounted to the roof-rack without a problem. The biggest thing is that you want to keep it as far away from the gas tank as you can. You'll get horrid "noise" if you mount it close to the tank.

As for the antenna.......check around. Either Wilson or Firestik seem to be the most used on the board, but there are several others. :) Hope this helps.

I'll also answer your other questions I've seen here too. There are few way to boost your power for the antenna. The best way is to get a good one, and then get it tuned. It will run you around 10 bucks tops. There are ways to "amp" the power, but I have never worked with any of them. As for the power. CB's dont run that hot. I myself have a 14 gauge wire running right from the battery with inline fuses(I learned that lesson). Try to keep it hooked up to the battery. In case a fuse or whatever fails you'll still have the power from the battery to at least let you use the CB. Just make sure you turn it off. :) Run them through the firewall and under the carpet and you're set.

I would suggest that you try to keep all your questions in one thread. It saves bandwidth and you'll be more likely to get your questions answered. :) Good luck.

thats where mine is too...best spot on the Xs

Tnx for teh replies.

I will be installing mine thru the roof just in front of the rack.

Back