• Register Today It's free!

The competition heats up

uniquename

Reaction score
City, State
Twin Cities, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT
As you read this, keep in mind, I love MFT. I am one of those who has little issue with the system. My only issues have been occasional pairing problems when I switch phones.

I just spent about 1000 miles behind the wheel of a 2012 Dodge with the new uconnect. Wow. Ford has competition. There is something to be said for being first, but Dodge caught up quickly. The steering wheel controls on the MFT blow away the Dodge, as does the two smaller displays and options. The center screen and options…well…I never had a speed issue with MFT, but I will now I am sure. Response time is awesome. It’s far better at handling two phones also. The layout to me isn’t as nice, all options reside on the bottom of the screen as all times…but it’s a taste thing.

I really thought no one would catch up for another year. From using it for a little bit…I can’t see much missing. I don’t use TDI that much, so I didn’t miss it. The things I use daily were all in uconnect. Not that I am ditching the Ex, but I am wondering if others have seen anyone else catching up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While I haven't seen it, Kia has this too (Hyundai probably too). I was originally looking at the Kia Sorento but was sidetracked to the Explorer.

Ford's advantage is the controls and small driver's screen. Their disadvantage however is that centre stack's software, which needs to be fixed/revised, etc/

The Kia is also a Microsoft product as I recall. Haven't seen it personally.

Most makers have something, I was just surprised how well uconnect works compared to the laster version (2008) I saw.

I've been screaming from the top of my lungs for a while and nobody seems to be listening. MFT is not innovative. Sync with nav was back in 2008. Nowadays most manufacturers have systems that are similar to MFT. Some use touchscreens (VW, Kia, Chrysler), some use controllers (BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus).

All of the systems above have the same capabilities as MFT: handsfree with name call voice dial, music player (MP3, iPod, USB, etc) with voice call, Sirius and radio with voice call, Sirius traffic and weather, etc.

That is why I am so frustrated with MFT. People keep calling it "new technology" and "innovative." It's not. Ford has no excuse for missing the mark on this one.

BUT, back to your point, yes indeed MFT has tons of competition. And, Chrysler's new 8.4 (or is it 4.8) UConnect is pretty sweet. I hope they add it to the Grand Cherokee and Durango MCR.

Anyone see the latest issue of Car and Driver?

Durango vs Explorer vs Pilot. Finished in that order.

Explorer was fastest in 0-60 and shortest braking 70-0. Negative on the MFT.

I think it comes down to feeling manlier and more truck like in the Durango. They seemed to be stuck on the escape from minivan theme. Eh. Lol.

hmm... I read it and cant quite understand what they even liked about the Dodge. They say it's slow, lumbering, and not agile yet they say it's least like a minivan??????????

I think it comes down to feeling manlier and more truck like in the Durango. They seemed to be stuck on the escape from minivan theme. Eh. Lol.

If anything I felt the Durango LOOKS more like a minivan due to the front end and in particular the grill design.

I was struck by how similar the Explorer and Durango looked from the back.

Back