The everything Aviator thread. | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The everything Aviator thread.

Does anyone have a running list of aviator parts that are discontinued / no longer manufactured by Ford or a third party? I ask because I found an aviator that is being parted out locally and think I might go take a look. It sounds like the Intake Manifold Runner Control would be a good thing to snatch up cheap if it is still on the vehicle. Anything else?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Change all of the fluids that you don't know of their age. The transfer case is reliable when the fluid is changed properly. With poor mileage, I'd figure a tune up will help a lot. Replace the plugs, wires, and O2 sensors, if you don't know how old they are. Same for the rubber hoses, idler pulleys, belt etc. A low mileage vehicle doesn't mean it's perfect, and often the parts are old.

My newest Lincoln Mark VII(1992) only has 53k miles, after I drove it home 380 miles. It looks to have the original plug wires and all hoses etc. The seller kept mentioning how original it is, I was hearing "needs a bunch of work", regardless of whether everything works now or not. My Lincoln needs lock actuators, window felts(makes the actuators go bad), radiator, plugs/wires, all hoses, idler pulleys, all fluids and filters, T'stat, and an unknown front suspension part(worn BJ etc, likely everything needs to go).
1992 Lincoln Mark Series | eBay

Enjoy that Aviator, I often wished I had bought one. Take great care of it, and it'll last a long time.

hey all im new here ,,is this forum still active ??anyone here ?? i own a 04 aviator 180,000 miles running strong but some issues popping up with the infamous misfire code in #1

hey all im new here ,,is this forum still active ??anyone here ?? i own a 04 aviator 180,000 miles running strong but some issues popping up with the infamous misfire code in #1
Its still active but they only made 75k so there dying out. I had the misfire on mine as well but when i switched the coils to different cylinders the code stayed on the same cylinder. I never felt a misfire or had poor performance but the check engine light is still on today

Im parting out my 04 Aviator If anyone needs any parts hmu. The engine runs perfect has 178k trans has 80k but flares a bit this aviator has every option let me know what you need located near laughlin

Just picked up an '04 Aviator with 97K miles, one owner, non-smoker. Love how this thing rides, and it's pretty plush for an SUV that's 14 years old. It's silver with the tan interior, really like the captains chairs for the second row, and how easy they are to flip forward to get access to the third row. The weekend I bought it I replaced the wiper blades with new Bosch Icons, recharged the AC, and replaced one of the rear door lock pulls with a matching set. Also worked on some surface rust on the roof, and some rust along the bottom of the rear hatch. Took a wire brush to them, wiped them down with brake cleaner, then put on a couple of coats of bedliner paint. Also drilled some holes in the plastic trim piece that the rear hatch contacts, in the hope that any water that accumulates there will drain to the ground, and not cause any more rust.

Couple of annoying things: cruise doesn't work; driver's side rear passenger door window doesn't work; heated / cooled seats don't work; only functions that work on driver's seat is lumbar and forward / aft movement, no up / down or tilt; heat / ac control for rear seat passengers doesn't appear to work either. I suppose it could be worse for being 14 years old. The body and interior are in fantastic shape, paint still shines, no rips or tears in the leather; headliner is tight and not sagging; no carpet stains; no dash cracks; 3rd row seat looks like it's never been used; and it has some kind of 17" split spoke wheels (doesn't look like they're OEM). Put on a new set of tires, 255/65 Cooper Discoverer RTX, gives it the bigger, more aggressive AT look I wanted, better than the 245/65 all-seasons that were on there before. Have a new set of KYB gas shocks getting installed next week, and have a set of in-channel vent visors on the way.

Definitely don't see too many of these on the road, see more Navigators than Aviators, that's for sure. I'm hoping this SUV will give us years and miles of dependable service, without breaking the bank on maintenance and upkeep.

Just picked up an '04 Aviator with 97K miles, one owner, non-smoker. Love how this thing rides, and it's pretty plush for an SUV that's 14 years old. It's silver with the tan interior, really like the captains chairs for the second row, and how easy they are to flip forward to get access to the third row. The weekend I bought it I replaced the wiper blades with new Bosch Icons, recharged the AC, and replaced one of the rear door lock pulls with a matching set. Also worked on some surface rust on the roof, and some rust along the bottom of the rear hatch. Took a wire brush to them, wiped them down with brake cleaner, then put on a couple of coats of bedliner paint. Also drilled some holes in the plastic trim piece that the rear hatch contacts, in the hope that any water that accumulates there will drain to the ground, and not cause any more rust.

Couple of annoying things: cruise doesn't work; driver's side rear passenger door window doesn't work; heated / cooled seats don't work; only functions that work on driver's seat is lumbar and forward / aft movement, no up / down or tilt; heat / ac control for rear seat passengers doesn't appear to work either. I suppose it could be worse for being 14 years old. The body and interior are in fantastic shape, paint still shines, no rips or tears in the leather; headliner is tight and not sagging; no carpet stains; no dash cracks; 3rd row seat looks like it's never been used; and it has some kind of 17" split spoke wheels (doesn't look like they're OEM). Put on a new set of tires, 255/65 Cooper Discoverer RTX, gives it the bigger, more aggressive AT look I wanted, better than the 245/65 all-seasons that were on there before. Have a new set of KYB gas shocks getting installed next week, and have a set of in-channel vent visors on the way.

Definitely don't see too many of these on the road, see more Navigators than Aviators, that's for sure. I'm hoping this SUV will give us years and miles of dependable service, without breaking the bank on maintenance and upkeep.

Check your fuses under the dash

Finally got around to cleaning the wheels. 3 of them cleaned up pretty nicely, but the driver's front had some minor pitting from the buildup of brake dust. I'm going to try and post a picture of the wheels, and would appreciate if someone could tell me if they're OEM wheels, and what vehicle they came off of, so I can get the width and offset specs.

Being an Atari guy in a Play Station world, I can't figure out how to post pics in here. The icon in the tool bar wants a picture URL, which I don't have since they're only on my computer, and don't see where I can add or insert an image from my computer. Do I have to be a paid member to have that ability?

Finally got around to cleaning the wheels. 3 of them cleaned up pretty nicely, but the driver's front had some minor pitting from the buildup of brake dust. I'm going to try and post a picture of the wheels, and would appreciate if someone could tell me if they're OEM wheels, and what vehicle they came off of, so I can get the width and offset specs.

Being an Atari guy in a Play Station world, I can't figure out how to post pics in here. The icon in the tool bar wants a picture URL, which I don't have since they're only on my computer, and don't see where I can add or insert an image from my computer. Do I have to be a paid member to have that ability?

When you open the reply box, do you have three choices at the bottom, the middle one being "Upload a File?" If not then you will have to upload the picture to a website that hosts pictures, and use the URL with the right tool at the top of the reply box.

If I remember correctly they only came with 2 different rims. The ugly crown Victoria style and the chrome ones that look a lot better.

My cruise didn’t work until I replaced the (aux brake pressure switch) located on the front of the brake master cylinder.

There is a second brake switch on the pedal under the dash that is for the cruise control disable. I believe it is light blue in color. Mine failed years ago. They are for an extra safety switch for cruise only. I think I removed it and jumped the wires together. Main brake switch still shuts down cruise.

I am the new owner of a 98k mile 05. I love this vehicle so far. I only had to fix the non-functioning tilt function in both seats by replacing the gear repair kit from S-197 Mustangs. Beyond that, everything works flawlessly.

One thing worth mentioning, my 05 Aviator was built in 8-04 and it has DB heads. I also went to the junk yard and every one 03-05 had DB heads. Two 05s ( one of which I snagged the heads off for my 03 Cobra) also had DBs. I wonder that the build date cut off was for DB casting? Clearly, not all 05s have DC heads.

819_1980mmm.jpg

Just picked up an 04. Fixing a long list of problems one by one. It clunks, and I have no idea why. It does it when turning and accelerating or backing up. Hope it’s not something major. I’ll check for wheel play. I’m learning a lot. The interior lights stay on, and I need to turn them off. I changed the battery saver relay and made sure all doors shut firmly but lights still stay on. It was clicking which is why the relay was changed. Now the battery is dead and on the charger now. Battery might be bad. It does’t have date mark and looks like a value battery. The OD wire from the shifter is out. Anyone know where this goes?

2003 Lincoln Aviator

Hey guys,

I recently picked a 2003 aviator w/ 156k. Motor seems to run very well. The trans is being rebuilt currently (I believe something with the servo? Not too inclined with trans work). Once I get it back it will be a solid vehicle for me but there are a few small issues I was curious about:

This one is the most concerning: When turning sharp, the vehicle jumps and requires me to give it gas to move. This happens when pulling in and out of places at slow speeds. Could this be tire rub? Or my AWD going out?

My driver's side power seat does not move. Does anyone have any ideas?

Heated and cooled seats do not work for both driver and passenger. The light flashes and sometimes stays on but does not work.

The dash cluster is dim for the first few minutes, then brightens up randomly.

Most of my issues are minor compared to what is being worked on right now, and I fully intend to check fuses and other easy solutions once I get the vehicle back. Very happy to have found this forum as I was weary that info would be hard to come by on a rare vehicle such as this one.

Thanks!!

2003 Lincoln Aviator

Hey guys,

I recently picked a 2003 aviator w/ 156k. Motor seems to run very well. The trans is being rebuilt currently (I believe something with the servo? Not too inclined with trans work). Once I get it back it will be a solid vehicle for me but there are a few small issues I was curious about:

This one is the most concerning: When turning sharp, the vehicle jumps and requires me to give it gas to move. This happens when pulling in and out of places at slow speeds. Could this be tire rub? Or my AWD going out?

Heated and cooled seats do not work for both driver and passenger. The light flashes and sometimes stays on but does not work.

Most of my issues are minor compared to what is being worked on right now, and I fully intend to check fuses and other easy solutions once I get the vehicle back. Very happy to have found this forum as I was weary that info would be hard to come by on a rare vehicle such as this one.

Thanks!!

Not sure about most, but the ‘jump’ you feel may be a problem with the constant velocity joint(s) in your front axles. Good luck.

2003 Lincoln Aviator

Hey guys,

Thanks!!

Not to be Captain Obvious here, but have you checked the fuse box? I think some of those are on the same fuse and/or relay. I have the manual, but at the moment am trying to unclog plumbing that's been an issue for two weeks (at home, my Aviator is nice, but it does not have indoor plumbing... then again, neither does my house at the moment. Actually, it has all the running water you want, just no going-away water...).

ANYWAY - some of those features like the seats/etc. are clustered for the relays/fuses. Check that.

I, too have a weird turn issue, and have not had the time to get under it to look. Could be a control arm, too, but mine were fine last time I was underneath, although that was a while back. Have replaced all but one wheel bearing (good lord, people, if you have to do the rears, JUST GO BUY AN EFFING HUB at the salvage yard and get a shop to press the bearing in - I have NEVER had such a "profanity to unmoving parts" ratio in my life... Also, the fronts, if original, are glued in along with all the bolts, including that last one that appears hidden. Heat will help).

Anyway-anyway, congrats on your purchase! A few years back I was supposed to get a corporate vehicle and test drove SUVS - MB, Lincoln Navigator, Jeep, Audi, and my thought was "Man, I'd just like another Aviator, only a new one with slightly better gas mileage and all the badassed horsepower!" And that sentiment holds. Love that vehicle and never imagined how much I would. It hauls mulch, bags of concrete, scaffolding- if you're careful, it's comfy (gotta get those heated/cooled seats going - v'er nice), and 99% of the time I feel pretty safe in it.

Didn't mean to write a novel for you... I just saw a notification pop up in my email about new posts on this thread, and had a few issues of my own I needed to check out, so thought I'd give you my 2 cents while I was here. Also, this is 1000% more fun than snaking drains, probably.

OH, and if you can find the shop manual (skip the Chilton's and get the actual Lincoln repair books - there are three) GET THEM. 100% invaluable. As is the Explorer Forum in genera has been so, so helpful in terms of real-life application and issues and gee, I'm not the only one who can't get those front wheel bearings off? You'll learn pretty quickly which aspects of the Explorer translate and which don't. But the Aviator shop manuals will be your salvation, I promise, if you're gonna hang onto your ride for a while. Mine have post-its, dog-eared pages, and tons of notes (why don't engineers/tech writers write in the size of the bolts so you can prep a socket tray before you start surgery? How hard would that be? Well, I'm writing in the size of the bolts in mine...) I think I ordered my set off eBay way back when. So glad I did. If I bought a new set, I might put some contact paper or a book cover over the outside, as mine are a little greasy by now.

ENJOY YOUR NEW RIDE!!!! :)

Back