• Register Today It's free!

The front end noise

BExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XL 4x4
For a month now my front end has been making shot bearing noises that comes and go. If the hubs are not locked, then no noise so I assume that the wheel bearing are OK. When 4x4 is ON, there is too much motor noise too ear the skeaking noise. Do I have to grease or lub the manual hubs (Warn), or is there some bearing in the front drive shafts, even tought of the u-joints, but they where chnaged 2 years ago???:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any idea, I'm wondering if anyting is going to see a better world in the front diff.:rolleyes:

I had a noise coming from my frond end only in 4X4. the hubs and bearings were done last year? I took my truck in to ford today and they were fine. It turned out to be the drive shaft.;)

Dirve shaft

Do you mean they replaced the complete front drive shaft, so maybe my theory of some bearing on the shaft is good. I forgot to say that the noise is only on the passenger side, if I unlock the hubs seperatly, the noise only comes when the passenger sside hub is locked.
There has not been snow since then so I will look at it only at spring time.:(

There is a small bearing inside the spindle that may be causing the noise. You will need to remove the brake rotor and the spindle to check it. If the bearing is in good shape you can grease it. If the bearing is worn out you can get a replacement from Ford for under $15.

Back