• Register Today It's free!

The impossible

ruzztec

Reaction score
City, State
McCreary County,KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT 4.0/99 XLT 4.0
I have a 1991 Econoline 150 with a 5.8 V8 I want it in my X. Now I am a welder for the Army and the brackets and mounts will be no prob I belive. What about the computer and wireing harnnest?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you taken measurements to see if it fits? Those bigger engines can get pretty wide and you don't have much leeway.

no but I can fab it to make it fit. I would use the tranny ad motor but does that mean I swithc axels too? Where can I get a transfer case for that tarnny

try a junkyard... your going to have to see though, its very possible that that engine/tranny combo never came in a 4x4 version... most E series vans were not 4x4s unless they were converted by someone..... and about you will make it fit... the engine is very possibly too wide to fit within the framrails... so unless you plan on chopping the frame and grafting the van onto it... then um, making it fit is probably out of the question.... just put a 302 in it and bore it out....

Have you looked at the Exhaust manifolds on a 5.0L X ? Pretty tight with lots of weird curves.

humm. So I pretty much loss the 4x4 and I cant do my 18 inch lift. I was gonna want it all but it seems that sacrifaices must be made

if you got a 3 inch body lift then clearence with the oilpan is fine. the motor mounts will need a little exta love but im pretty sure you got tthat down.

the other clearence problem is with the steering. it wont be too bad. the 5.8 is like 2 1/4 of an inch wider then the 302, i think with your skills you will be just fine...

but is there a t case for a 5.8 and will there be room under there to fit it, plus will the axels need to be changed?

ruzztec said:
but is there a t case for a 5.8 and will there be room under there to fit it, plus will the axels need to be changed?

Your 8.8 should handle the power of a 351 fine

dunno about the front end... i would imagin so

There were plenty of broncos made in '96 with the 5.8L 351W EFI all day long! im sure of it man, here ill even do the research for you...

...according to all the searches i made on Yahoo reguarding the 351w you can put up any ford c4, c6 auto or t-5 standard transmission.

as for a transfercase...

this is exactly what your looking for

http://www.accuautoparts.com/GenMDB/axledetails.jsp?parts_id=MOT:TC-FRD-BW1354-G

you should have minimal problems fitting it in. you might have to relocate some cross members (your a army welder right?) and more fitting drive shafts... dude you got the money anything is possible...

Talk about helpfull. That is all the info I need. Thank you very much. But i still am only worried about the computer and wireing harnnest. I have that of a 4.0 Should I switch and use the 5.8 computer and what of the harnnest

You're going to have to put the computer and wiring harness from the 351 in your truck. Transmission and t-case shouldn't be much of an issue you can find a c6 and np 205 easy. 351s have been swapped into a couple of explorers but it's going to take ALOT of work. There is not much room in the engine compartment, hell there isn't all that much room for the 4.0 if you think about older cars and trucks. This swap is going to take alot of time, work and probably alot of money. You're going to want to research this alot before you start into it. There is alot of good info out there on the web, I would go and search for v8 swap on google, you'll find alot of information.

heres a pic of my 351w in my 94 sport.
364759_32.jpg

just a warning steering and exhaust is tight, but do able. radiator will have to be moved forward and a 3 inch body lift deff helps.

here are my motor mounts
364759_38.jpg

Back