Impossible To Replace Front Driveshaft Boot? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Impossible To Replace Front Driveshaft Boot?

ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
I am planning on designing my front driveshaft to use a driveshaft with a u-joint on both ends instead of a u-joint and a cv-joint (bowl) style on the other end - and the front driveshaft I have is from a '95 Explorer. It has a double-cardan yoke and a single yoke at the t-case. Now, the slip joint in the middle is sealed (no grease fitting) and the boot is dry rotted -- can you replace just the boot? Any help would be nice.

-Drew

ps - if you have a old driveshaft that has a slip joint boot that you do not want - please PM me as I will pay you for the boot. Also, I will need measurments: length and size of holes (I believe they should be different at each end of the boot). Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cut the boot off and then just get a new boot for it. Though if you want to change the output on the t-case to a normal u-joint setup you're going to either have to rip apart the t-case and change the output shaft or get a BW1354. Getting a 1354 would be alot easier and it's a stronger t-case.

no, the driveshaft is completely apart (even at the slip joint - basically in two pieces rite now) - and I have an adapter for the t-case I do have....but I just need a new boot...that's all.

-Drew

Boots are available. Advance Auto Parts (PA Chain) has application specific and universal boots.

Alright, good deal - thank you very much.

-Drew

There's a snap ring inside the joint you have to remove to get it apart and the new boot on. It takes a little contortion to hook the snap-ring plier tips and get the ring out and it's hard to see what you're doing. Best if you have a lift, but I've done it just with stands. Getting the snap-ring out is key to the whole business.

Shadetree - what are you talking about? The driveshaft is out and apart --- I took it apart.

-Drew

I used a shock boot on mine.

Hmm -- I will have to look into the shock boot theory - but the ones I have are too long.

-Drew

Doug said:
1354 would be alot easier and it's a stronger t-case.

Where do you get it? Is it easy as bolt on?

What kind of hose clamps do you all use on the driveshaft boots?
The OEM boot doesn't have much "end" for normal-width aircraft-style screw clamps...

I'm posititive a size 36 hose clamp will fit without a problem. You can get them at any auto parts store. Used usually for, well hoses, but usually radiators.

-Drew

Back