the non-controversial Falcon Ute PICTURE thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

the non-controversial Falcon Ute PICTURE thread

WidgetTrac

Reaction score
City, State
Cypress, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 2wd
Okay, I'll say it nicer this time, and with pics...

In my humble opinion, these vehicles are freakin badass and Ford should sell them here. I know there are reasons why they don't, but I don't care about all that - I just want one!!!!

ford-falcon-xr8-boss-260-ute-06.jpg

This one is lowered with custom wheels, but the body kit, roll bar, and fitted tonneau are factory I believe. Also, from filename guessing maybe a v8

Ford_FG_Falcon_Ute_XR6_Turbo_pictures.jpg

...the turbo with hard bed cover

ford-falcon-ute-04.jpg

Love the clean look of this one

FORD-FALCON-UTE1_920.jpg

Check out this ad, lol, chick wants him down on the blanket, but he not wanna leave the driver seat!

Ford-FG_Falcon_Ute_XR8_2008_photo_11.jpg

...those damn kids! Actually a paint store. Call me crazy, but I think they could get Americans to buy a few of those. there's a whole new generation of young people who've grown up since rancheros& el caminos disappeared here, and these Utes are wicked fine!

ford_falcon_xr8_ute_2011_1.jpg

Another v8, judging by fender emblem & filename. Lovin that blue!

i126556.jpg

The flatbed version is also very cool - just beggin for dually conversion!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am sorry, but that is the ugliest thing i have ever seen. IMHO.

I love this place. Such a wide range, we can go from Widget who is completely in love with the ute, to Trac, who vehemently despises it in under 10 seconds. :D

I am sorry if I offended anyone....! I should learn to be more considerate of others feelings...:mattmoon:

I agree with Trac. That is God awful.

It's sorta ok...idk. I feel like some people would like it a lot. I mean the Rancheros and El Caminos sold. Ford should at least offer them over here, even if Cali can't have them (cause Cali just is too strict), but maybe don't spend money on advertising for them...cause idk how many people would actually like them.
But the flatbed is just bad. Seriously. It looks extra "ghetto." I think that's the term kids use. haha

Ford tanked marketing a true SUT being the Sport Trac.
Don't know how this qualifies being classified as a "Ute".

Eh, no accounting for taste... as I said earlier, some people have a hard time getting used to different things! :D

Or maybe it's just lowered street trux in general yall dont like? See how this one grabs ya - i'm not much of a bowtie fan, but this one looks lean & clean!

(warning, the audio sounds like jinglebells are attached to the camera. Sounds good from behind though)

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=eoB2A_2Sims

Or even better, lifted on swampers with good sounds and torque expression right before the end...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vufVUjPz5fc#/watch?v=vufVUjPz5fc

That one looks like it'd be a fun ride, while it held together anyway!

I don't know exactly how big the falcon Ute - it looks about 80's el Camino size, which is a little smaller than a full truck or 70's ranchero, but still way bigger than a sport trac. Combine a bed that size with 3700lb curb weight and horsepower & torque well above what we have in our tracs, and you get something that's closer to a v8 f150 than a sport trac in payload & towing, and when there's nothing you need to haul, it'll haul-A !

Edit: okay, I looked it up - it's got about 48.5" between the wheel humps in the bed, same as my old ranchero, which means you can carry full sheets of plywood, sheetrock, etc. laying flat in the bed, just like a full truck. The payload is 1705# (3/4 ton) and tbere is a 1-ton package for $500 optional. And it comes in a flatbed version. The soft tonneau is standard and there are hooks that fit into the track so you can have tie downs at any point around the bed....

I'd say that qualifies it as a "Ute".

With the basic engine, 0-100kph (62mph) in 6.9 seconds, faster than pre-99 lightnings. About on par with my 93 Mustang gt in stock form. Not bad for a 3/4 ton truck at $32.7k msrp

Of course, you do have to keep it on flatter ground than a trac! ;)

no offense but the "UTE" era is dead rancheros, elcaminos had their time and like the way of the dodo bird they went extinct. this is not jurassic park we dont resurrect extinct things for good reasons.

no offense but the amount of sales needed to off set the cost of ford adapting them to USA standards will never be reached. the population of people through the 70's and 80's that bought into the elcaminos are now in their mid 60's and up in age the likely hood that that 60+ yr old needing a fuel effiecient truck (the main reason el caminos existed) is slim due to them being in a retirement home.

also trucks have come a long way since the oil crisises of the 70's and 80's. back then your standard carbed 350 or 351 or 302 etc made a mere 10-12 MPG best. now you have fuel injection, cylinder deactivation, variable valve timing, OHC, etc that mechanically help, also the computer control systems on cars are more and more complex with every new model, this helps because there are millions of parameters the computer tests; in a single second it can notice the fuel mix leaning or richening and then adjust valve timing or fuel pressure to equalize.

so like i said before a smaller light weight car based pick up (UTE) meant for fuel effeciency is irrelevant due to a modern full size truck pulling mid to upper 20's on the highway.

I would say that is partially correct - everything has a time, and then its gone. That much is right on.

but wrong if you think their time has passed or if you think "regular" trucks are unquestionably better. Both Ford and Holden have new Ute models that are currently in production - that is pretty much a textbook example of something that is NOT extinct, isn't it? How have recent sport trac production numbers been running? Kinda low from what I hear.

Also, it was never about gas mileage back in the day. Rancheros and caminos had the same engine options as the sedans they were based on, which were also the same engine options you could get for the same model year trucks - maybe highway mileage would be worse in a truck due to aero factors, but people got 'cheros and caminos fur the ride and the handling, and luxury. Back then all trucks handled like double-decker busses, rode like a hardtail chopper, and had bench seats, rubber mats, and painted metal interior. If you wanted carpet, upholstery, a smooth ride, and the ability to take a turn at normal speed, you got a car, or an el ranchero.

Todays trucks are waaay better, but they're heavier than ever, and still top-heavy... Gas shocks and sway bars and all the improvements help quite a bit, but physics is physics. Apply the same technology to a lower vehicle and it will run circles around the tall one. My dads new f150 has a smooth ride and the suspension "feels tight" compared to trucks of yesteryear, but that falcon Ute would eat it up, and carry 1/4 ton more! In what way is that obsolete?

Also not sure why you think people under 60 would not be interested in trucks with better gas mileage. That's just racist, dawg! :D

...they are also more practical for people who use them for work, because you can just reach down and get stuff out of the bed or use it as a work table, where with a regular truck you are always having to climb up or grab a stick to push things to the edge unless you're very tall, and loading/unloading is much easier with a lower bed too - especially motorcycles and tractors. People who have not driven one while working construction for many years would not know about things like this.

from a technical perspective, VHS was inferior to beta. But most people want what everyone else has, and nobody gives a **** about VHS OR beta now anyway because of DVD and bluray - the time of VHS has passed, and yet from a certain perspective it's superior to DVD & bluray, because these disc players can't tape a TV show.

:notworthyThe vision of a Mustang Ranchero. :eek:

:chug:You KNOW that I would love it!:bounce::D

Oh, and anyone who doesn't like it gets a 10 day suspension from the forum !!:mad:

Just kidding .........................:mattmoon:

My dad is almost 70. Not only does he use his truck as a work truck, he also drives all across the lower 48 on vacation and he's obsessed with gas mileage. He can work under the hot tx sun well past the point where I get dizzy and see spots. When I go snowboarding, he skis with me and we usually alternate black runs with blue and don't waste time getting down for the next one. lift operators have commented on how many runs or how short a time since the previous ride up.

it's not unusual for younger folks to have misconceptions about people over 60 - I used to be the worst, but im learning. Youre still the same you you always were, except a lot of the time it kinda hurts to move. The wrinkles dont hurt, you will NOT start feeling attracted to older women, (who will now be your age, but look and act older), and we have the freedom to be completely fearless because really, were just looking for a grand exit - better to burn out than rust away! ;)

Also, I seem to fart more than I used to...

The vision of a Mustang Ranchero.

I saw one somewhere - nice lines imo, but APPARENTLY they're something of an acquired taste... :rolleyes:

anyway, just for you, and to horrify the kids, ill see if I can find pics :p

Oh I've seen the 65-66 Mustang "converted Ranchero's" .......criminal!!

I do like the Aussie Ute's though. I wouldn't buy one. My wife had a 99 Mustang GT that I had to just crawl out to get out.

Yes, I AM too old for one of those as a daily driver. My preferred ride was my Crown Vic Police Interceptor, wonderful machine. I'd snatch up a Marauder in a minute if I could!!

WidgetTrac said:
Or maybe it's just lowered street trux in general yall dont like

Nail meets the head.

For a similar recent failure in the US, see Subaru Baja.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ncranchero said:
I'm hurt ....... you don't like my LOWERED 4X4 ~ :party:

I wouldn't consider yours lowered. Street truck, but not lowered. The tall body makes a difference.

Back