The old flashing 4x4 lights saga continues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The old flashing 4x4 lights saga continues

drdoug

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT. Stock.
Hi everyone,

I had a transmission rebuild on my 95 XLT control trac at 210,000 miles. Transfer case was serviced too. Its on warranty so thats good but I havent back gone to the shop yet. Hard to be without a vehicle in winter.

The issue is I cannot get the truck to switch into 4x4 auto while moving "on the fly". I have to stop like at a stop sign and while still in drive it will illuminate- or put truck in neutral. The front wheels seem to start spinning much later than they used to so lagging where my rear tires are spinning and front end finally catches. I was overconfident the other day and the rear tires just spun and the front did jack squat and I ended up cutting someone off in traffic as they came up behind me.

I do hear it click inside the cab when i turn selector switch however.

(Ive had this truck for 15 years now)

Once I get all for wheels moving in 4x4 auto it fine for a few minutes. It seems the front drive shaft isn't disengaging maybe and either the 4x4 light completely goes out or both 4x4 auto and 4x4 low lights start to flash.

I have checked all fuses but unsure how to test any relays. Very amateur.

I have read about a GEM replacement and also read about a battery saver relay that is down near the gas pedal.

The only other things of note because I have read some odd related symptoms are

1. Dome light wen to out haven't had a chance to replace it.

2. Power mirrors haven't worked in a long time not sure if related I don't think so but worth a mention maybe. That was before all this happened.

I'm wondering if a speed sensor, hall effect relay sensor on front drive shaft or maybe the shift motor starting to fail as well. I will try and crawl under there this weekend and disconnect and clean contact of shift motor but just looking for ideas really. Can I test the shift motor ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your shift motor has absolutely nothing to do with 4auto.

Take it back and get the codes scanned. Otherwise, no one is doing anything but randomly guessing.

Do you have an ABS light on?

Should not be a Hall effect on the front driveshaft. There’s one at each front wheel hub, and on the rear diff.

You might also have a vacuum front axle issue.

Your shift motor has absolutely nothing to do with 4auto.

Take it back and get the codes scanned. Otherwise, no one is doing anything but randomly guessing.

Do you have an ABS light on?

Should not be a Hall effect on the front driveshaft. There’s one at each front wheel hub, and on the rear diff.
No Codes. I scanned it. No ABS light.

You have codes stored. Your specific scan tool isn’t pulling them.

Back