Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 xlt
http://www.theshiftster.com/
i got this the other day
100_0595.jpg

looking at the install on the guys bronco theres 2 things that dont match. i have a large circle thing under the motor and after removing the motors bolts it wont move at all. maybe spray on it with wd-40(its all i have with me)? or bang on it? or do i have more bolts somewhere?
20101221102338.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah you are going to have to take that big circle thing off. im pretty sure its just a vibration dampener.(the 4 outer bolts) then your shiftster should fit right on. but just take it off and if your having a hard time maybe get some PB Blaster. that stuff works! i took all the header bolts and exhaust clamps off of a 99 mustang in about an hour. its amazing.

That round thing is a balancing weight, just take it off. It's the same idea as some 1st gens had on the rear diff.

I would try tapping the motor with a soft mallet to try to break it free. It should only be the 3 bolts holding it on. Or take a look a the shift motor rebuild thread that's stickied.

Didn't have to take that weight thing off. Motor came off with a tap from a hammer on each side and some wiggling. Got it installed.
And 4x4 works now!! Yay
I'm not sure if the hubs locked or not. But I felt the front pulling. At full lock the truck wouldn't even move, even with giving it gas. A little less of a turn and it moved

20101221112304.jpg

I'd love to get one of those, and somehow mount it in the cab, with a flexible cable running down to the t-case.

Yeah red Ed, I know about that one too. It's just beyond my budget.

hahahhaha i know. you posted on that. the only reason for the price being high is that every part isnt stamped out in a 3rd world country.
they are just made by hand on manual engine lathes and mills.
until we can get a manufacturer to consider it seriously we are stuck with the old fashioned method.

i rememeber that one, i couldnt find it tho. i didnt realize it was done with a cable tho. i thought it was solid metal linked together.
thats something i eventualy want, but i just wanted 4x4 to work for now, incase we get snow again. i was sliding all over from the last snow.

its came to $59.95 for this anyway.

edit: more people = cost less? maybe we can start a explorerfroum group guy thing. i would get it if it was close in price to mine

I can tell that kit is high quality and worth the money, if I had the $$ I would already be running it. :cool:

i rememeber that one, i couldnt find it tho. i didnt realize it was done with a cable tho. i thought it was solid metal linked together.
thats something i eventualy want, but i just wanted 4x4 to work for now, incase we get snow again. i was sliding all over from the last snow.

its came to $59.95 for this anyway.

edit: more people = cost less? maybe we can start a explorerfroum group guy thing. i would get it if it was close in price to mine

I Will have to get in touch with doug about that. We have had about 5 or so people actually buy a kit. And I have had about 20 people PM me wanting to buy. The only problem we have at D and D performance is quantity of these units. Hand cutting gears isn't a fast process. Also the price of materials is going up. Our cable that we get from ford just went up another 15 bucks.

Anyway sorry for getting off topic. The shiftster gets the job done. :D

ok will this work on my 4405 contol track to go from 4 wheel to 4 wheel low.

My shift motor is bad and want 4 wheel low. 4 wheel Hi works with no issues...

Are the mounting wholes the same and are the gear locations the same on the 1354 and the 4405

i would deff run this if someone made a kit to go into the cab, it would deffenatly be worth the money

yea, so ive heard

only thing is its so expensive

if we can get a company to mass produce them then they wouldn't be nearly as expensive. just the fact that they are hand machined and the amount of time it takes to make one, material costs, and the little odd end stuff like the cable, shift knob, bolts...etc.. it all adds up.

just bought the shifster, we will see how it goes, an have automatic hubs.. wonder if this will be a problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back