The smell of GAS, where would you start? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The smell of GAS, where would you start?

havent really noticed.. ill have to pay more attention tomorrow. i know you dont smell it after being off for over 30+ mins. its when you start it and off upto about 10 mins

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do the easy stuff first. If it's like my old 92, just replace the o'ring on the fuel pressure regulator.

http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=41

The FPR should come off without removing anything but the vacuum lines.

Updating

OK weird!!

So do an oil/filter change.. While Im there they have a good brand Gas treatment on sale from 24.99 to 9.99, so grab one... Do the oil/filter with Synthetic fluid (always have done syn fluid) run over get a full tank of gas, drop the gas treatment in.. No smell last 4 starts/stops?!?!

What in the world does this mean?

Bump
Was it ever fixed? My 93 just started this a few days ago. 2 door...same thing smells like gas after running it for a bit just under/behind the drivers door.
The charcoal canister is ok, no smell & the valve in the engine bay looks ok. No visual lines are loose or torn. The Fuel filter is about a year old. Gas cap is new within the last few months as well.

i ended up scraping the ex. however, as quick as the smell appeared. it disappeared. and i searched all the lines, changed charcoal out new filter, looked at lines and fittings, could never find the problem.

SOB...same thing. After I ran 2 full tanks of gas through the smell is gone....I don't know???? :scratch:

Did you ever get a good look at the quick disconnect/springlock couplers on the "braided" fuel lines. where they come up into the engine compartment, right around the drivers front wheel? My Ranger was leaking there when I bought it. The coupler had just rotted away. Guess it isn't really stainless?

Back