The smell of GAS, where would you start? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The smell of GAS, where would you start?

okie dokie here is one of the things yall suggested.

@Turdle, i kept the two links up, i yanked ecm out today, just now. took off cover and its all good, no corrosion, broken spots etc.

ever wanted to know inside of your ecm, here you go..
2013-01-30_15_30_08_zps861faa3f.jpg

2013-01-30_15_29_42_zps14cfa82c.jpg

going out now to do pressure check w/ new pressure test kit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, forgive my concern. This is not the first " raw fuel out of driver side exhaust manifold" issue. Dannyboy fought this issue, might look into his thread about it.
Also, when I had our 93 I had to go through several engine harnesses to find a good one. One of the bad ones had bare wires in the fuel injector wiring, it looked like an area where the harness rubs as it goes under the alternator--if this makes any sense.

Is your truck batch fire injection or is it sequential port? Easy way to tell is look at injector wires. One bank will have the same color wire pairs going to each injector on batch fire , with the other bank being a different colored pair, but still sharing the same colors on that bank. Sequential fire injection has different colored wires on each injector.

This could be important to note depending on your fuel pressure findings, as if one of the wires on batch fire is shorted to ground, all of the injectors on that bank stay "open" and just dump fuel.

Well here is the pressure update.

Car Off Key Off 0 PSI
2013-01-30174926_zpsf2ca5a21.jpg

Key on Engine Off at Prime stage 34 PSI
2013-01-30175010_zps1b2368b4.jpg

Engine Running 30 PSI
2013-01-30175116_zps4e13541e.jpg

When Goosing it, it goes to 40-45 PSI

edit: Searching Dannyboy now

thats a good thing at least. i read Dannyboys "Fuel Pressure- Low key off, okay at idle" if my pressure was/is fine, then low pressure wouldnt be a problem

another question... if my test are ok, what all does that eliminate?

The smell of gas would could indicate a fuel leak. I didn't see a leak down test described in your fuel pressure test. Does the fuel system hold pressure when the pump is shut off? If the system holds pressure, that suggests that there are no leaks between the fuel rail and the pump on the supply side. This can't tell us if there is a leak in the return line.

What is a leak down test?

It held at the shut of psi until i pressed the relief button. It held for at least 10 mins, I finished up and smoked, it held the whole 10 min cig (i know safe to smoke while messing with gas :D)

It held at the shut of psi until i pressed the relief button. It held for at least 10 mins, I finished up and smoked, it held the whole 10 min cig (i know safe to smoke while messing with gas )
That right there is a leak down test. So, if there is a leak in the fuel lines, it doesn't appear to be in the supply line from the pump to the fuel rail.

so the to and return line should be ok? what about that third line, top one that runs along with them. is that a fuel line?

so i crawled onto explorer right after i smelled the gas right after shut off, did not smell it near the headers or injectors, but can smell it near the tire outside the motor bay still on driver side

Your fuel pressure gauge would only see a leak in the supply line. It would not be able to see a leak in the return line. The third line goes to the EVAP system (the charcoal canister). Your fuel pressure gauge would not see a leak there, either.

but can smell it near the tire outside the motor bay still on driver side
This is typical of a clogged EVAP system/CANP solenoid stuck closed. Hard to be certain, because the fuel tank and fuel lines are also along the driver's side. If you've traced the fuel lines and have not found a leak, then I'd probably get a vacuum gauge (see if your favorite parts store has one to lend) and see if the CANP solenoid can open/is opening.

how do you perform a vacuum test? and what would I need, i called Adv my local one they said they do not loan those type of tools.

how do i perform the test? i got a 50 off coupon from buying previous parts, they carry the solenoid and canister. which both are stock on my truck. i know the charcoal canister when you take off the two top knobs, is bonestock dry with a spider web in it.

Here's how I would test it:

1) Hook up vacuum pump/gauge (I use one like this http://www.amazon.com/MHB-LB122-Hand-Vacuum-Pump/dp/B003B3WC3Q) to the upstream side of the CANP solenoid.
2) Enter output state test (see my notes on pulling EEC-IV codes thread)
3) With your vacuum pump, you should be able to see the valve open and close. If the valve is not opening when commanded, then inspect the wiring to the CANP solenoid for faults.
4) If the valve functions correctly, then take it out for a test drive. Under some conditions, the computer will command the solenoid to open (you should be able to see it if you have a voltmeter measuring voltage drop across the solenoid). When the computer commands the solenoid open, you should be able to see the vacuum gauge respond.

ok so go tomorrow and get a pressure test kit this hook it to the up stream.. im guessing that is the one going to the TB.

run the cel test

watch the gauge?

Ok have not been able to do the vacuum test. However I have another question now, its kind of on same topic...

Floating Gas Gauge, gas gauge misread or something else?
So I thought I was getting 180 per tank.. seemed kinda bad, also started to blame it on this gas leak. So it was on "E" again. Went to local gas station and filled it.. I was only able to put in 16 gallons, our tanks are 19.xx gallon. So wasnt able to put in 4 gallons while it was on "E".

Another problem with the gauge. Same fill up, filled it up, went to get kids from school with truck off, the gas gauge went from Full to right under 3/4. Then started it up went back to right under Full..

whats up with the gas gauge?!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He means, does the smell change with the amount of fuel you have in your tank?

Back