The Turn Signal/Hazard/Wiper Switch Innards | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Turn Signal/Hazard/Wiper Switch Innards

lare

Reaction score
City, State
Chandler, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Yesterday, while turning left, I heard a crack and the self-cancelling feature on my turn signals stopped working although all the other functions (signals, hazard, wipers) still work.

After pulling the switch I found that a small piece protruding from a piece of white plastic held in place by a long spring had worked loose. (Sorry--if you know what I mean, we're good, otherwise keep reading.)

The bottom line is that I carefully disassembled the switch and managed to put the piece back in--a roll pin had somehow worked loose. When I went to put it back together, a spring fell out. I simply cannot figure out where the spring goes, so being an impatient sort, I put it all back together and plugged it in.

It's working. But I have no idea why I have an extra part! What I'm looking for is whether anyone knows if there is an assembly diagram or video for this switch anywhere.

One other thing: You know how you hear a soft "clicking" as you're turning the wheel--the self-cancelling being set up to work when the wheel turns back? I don't have that anymore. It's totally silent--but it still self-cancels.

I know, I know, just accept it and move on, but there's a part of me that really wants to put back all the parts I took out.

It's a 2000, automatic transmission, tilt wheel (XLT) package, not that it seems to matter from looking at the parts list on parts.com.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is not likely you will find a diagram of the internals. People just replace the whole unit typically but I admire your patience to tear into it and fix the problem.

$30 For a new unit + 10min to replace = no headaches
I just replaced mine

$30 For a new unit + 10min to replace = no headaches
I just replaced mine

Where did you find one for $30? It's $171 at my local dealer and $96 at parts.com.

99SportX said:
I admire your patience...

Thanks, but it wasn't patience as much as it was desperation.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Thank you, too. My membership in this forum has certainly paid off. I'd never checked these options and I really didn't want to take it all apart and try (again) to figure out where that spring goes.

It's been almost a week and my rebuild still seems to be working perfectly. Every time I head for my truck I expect to find it in flames because I'm sure the spring will turn out to be the "Anti-self-destruct torsion retainer," but for now I'm just glad to be saving what money I can.

Back