• Register Today It's free!

Theft Alert can't turn on car

F006

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer
Hey guys. I have a 1998 ford explorer sport. I lost my key. I looked on youtube and saw some people drill out the ignition cylinder and we're able to turn on the truck with a screwdriver. I did the same. However my explorer won't start. I connected the scanner and it tells me something about the theft system. Any help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Passive anti-theft system PATS. Look up threads, with lost key, your best bet is to go to a pull-it junkyard and get these from the same donor car:
1. a key (better to get one with 2 keys,)
2. ignition cylinder, (easy to get out if you have the key)
3. pats module, (behind the passenger air bag)
4. powertrain control module (firewall passenger side)

and that the engine, transmission, and # of oxygen sensors (usually 4 for a '98 Explorer): ALL of these have to be the same as yours. You may as well get the door lock cylinders while you're at it. Otherwise you go to a dealer, have your car towed to it and have them make a new key for outrageous fees.

it would probably be cheaper and much easiesr to just get a chip that disables the anti theft and gives you a touch more oomph and maybe fuel economy all at the same time $300, that way youll never have to worry about pats ever again

http://info.efidynotuning.com/tune.htm

If you want the full custom tuning software and realtime tuning too you can pay a few more bucks there too and join the list, theres already a member here that paid to help develope an open source def file the more pushing for it the faster it comes along

Don't know whether 'the touch more oomph' is worth $300 to most of us, but losing PATS may or may not be a good idea, depending on where one lives. The OP should be aware that forgoing PATS allows virtually anybody equipped with a screwdriver to steal his vehicle. Stealing a PATS-equipped one is not impossible, but certainly poses a formidable challenge.

it would probably be cheaper and much easiesr to just get a chip that disables the anti theft and gives you a touch more oomph and maybe fuel economy all at the same time $300, that way youll never have to worry about pats ever again

He still needs a key and locks anyway.

Back