• Register Today It's free!

How to disable anti-theft

bigblockford

Reaction score
City, State
cape breton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0 ford explorer
have a 2000 explorer and last night i lost my keys so today i removed the ignition cylinder and tryed to get it to start not a chance but it will turn over just wont start due to the anti theft system... so im wondering if theres a way i can get around the antitheft system ?thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Obviously, if it were easy to bypass the system, it wouldn't be worth much. You probably have a choice between making new keys (a dealer's job, but possibly some better locksmiths have the right scanners and software too) or reprogramming the PCM computer to disable the system ("getting a tune"). The cost is probably similar, but if I were you, I would bite the bullet and keep the PATS system.
have a 2000 explorer and last night i lost my keys so today i removed the ignition cylinder and tryed to get it to start not a chance but it will turn over just wont start due to the anti theft system... so im wondering if theres a way i can get around the antitheft system ?thanks

Ok so I have another ignition with keys from my 97 parts truck, so if I install this what do I have to do to get it to sing along with my e.c.m or is this going to have to be done by the dealer.

Ok so I have another ignition with keys from my 97 parts truck, so if I install this what do I have to do to get it to sing along with my e.c.m or is this going to have to be done by the dealer.

'97 is pre-PATS, so I don't think that will work. the transceiver, located under the ignition cylinder, reads the transponder key and sends the info to the PCM/ECU. if it doesn't recognize the key the truck will not start. get the truck to the dealership and have them make and program 2 new keys, or find a locksmith, with the needed equipment, and have him come to you. either way it's gonna cost you.

almost all of my Explorers and Mountaineers only came with one key. the first thing I did was to buy at least 1 additional key for each of them and took the vehicle to the dealer to have the key programmed. my dealer charges $45 for this, but the alternative is several hundred dollars if you lose your one key. not to mention the inconvenience.

Anti theft

ok so being I'm way out in the sticks 3 hours away from any dealer or any locksmith my only alternative isto try to find a way around this pats system... so my first question is what does the pats system disable ?? I have power to the starter and i have spark ,I have tried putting 12 volts to the fuel pump via the top of the sending unit 62 psi at the rail an stillwill not start I have spark and now fuel pressure anstill nothing so why I'm trying to find out is there somewhere else I can supply 12 volts or ground that will bring this back to life?

fuel injectors

On my 2000 PATS disables the fuel injectors. In other words the PCM will not energize the fuel injectors. So even if power is applied to the fuel pump and there is pressure at the fuel rails the engine still will not start.

There is no work around unless you have a device to disable it through a tuning file, however even in this case you need the original key to activate the system first.

You need to find your keys, or see the dealership. :(

Anti theft = Antichrist

so I have now removed the computer from the vehicle I have it sitting on the table in front of me with the cover removed is there any thing that can be jumped added soldered/desoldred or crossed to bypass this ?

so I have now removed the computer from the vehicle I have been sitting on the table in front of me with the cover removed is there any thing that can be jumped added soldered/desoldred or crossed to bypass this ?

I think you're dealing with a software issue now, so I don't think you're going to be successful, plus your dealing with different model years (3 years apart) PCM's.

if you had access to an Explorer built in the same model month/year, with the same equipment/engine in it, you could swap the PCM, locks and keys, but that doesn't sound likely considering your remoteness. do everything possible to try to find that key.

BTW, Turdle is correct, PATS disables the fuel injectors.

no

so I have now removed the computer from the vehicle I have it sitting on the table in front of me with the cover removed is there any thing that can be jumped added soldered/desoldred or crossed to bypass this ?

As koda2000 posted PATS is embedded in the PCM firmware which you can't get access to without an ignition key to power it up and then a special machine to get the PCM to recognize the new key. The first time takes about 20 minutes. The second key takes less time.

The only chance you have of getting the vehicle running without help that I can think of is to convert to your 1997. That means swapping the PCM, ignition switch and anything else electronic associated with the starting system. I suspect many off road drivers have done it but I'm not aware of the details. You might have better luck on the Ranger forum. One disadvantage of doing the swap is anything that you have in your 2000 that is not programmed in the 1997 will probably not function. Are both vehicles V8s? If not, then forget the idea.

i bypassed mine by getting a chip from moates and puting a tune into it which included pats disable
i had to replace my ecm due to burning up the pin that supplies 12volt power to the keep alive memory circut

I hope you find the lost keys.

Do you have AAA? If yes, they will cover the first $100 of the replacement cost for a locksmith to come out for an on-site replacement. Even if you don't have AAA, the best advice is still call around to local locksmiths and find one with a key programmer to come out to you. Most charge $100 to $150 to make and program 2 new PATS keys on site. It certainly is not a cheap fix, but really is the most viable option for dealing with this issue.

From there it gets more complicated. If you have already pulled the ignition cylinder you can get a replacement cylinder with 2 new PATS keys at Autozone and most other autoparts stores for around $50. You will still need to get someone with a key programmer to set up the computer. Chances are good you can talk a locksmith into doing the programing for around $50-75 so you might have save some $ versus having the locksmith make the keys from scratch. The headache is all your lock cylinders need to be rekeyed if you want it to match the ignition, or just pull one and have a matching non-PATS key made for the doors and rear hatch for cheap (like $10).

It is possible to do the computer programming yourself with the right equipment. Basically two choices on this. There are stand-alone $200 key programmers on ebay which perform the dealer functions to create new sets of PATS keys. They don't have any other functions besides making keys so locksmiths, repo guys, and car theives seem to be the only real market for these devices. If you really wanted to do this right on your own Ford does sell its IDS software license to the public for $600 per year which will not only make keys but also runs every other computer function, including the ability to reflash your system and customize some tuning functions. Keep in mind that you will still have the expense of buying the new keys with any of these options.

Other route is what Koda noted: pull key(s), ignition, locks, and PCM from same year and options explorer at a yard.

I hope you find the lost keys.

Other route is what Koda noted: pull key(s), ignition, locks, and PCM from same year and options explorer at a yard.

PATS and GEM module also. Just to be sure.

I wonder if you could join AAA and wait a day before calling for help. Hmmm.

Unfortunately my 97 partstruck is the 4 liter v6 I haven't tried it I'm just wondering if I went to a scrap yard took the ignition cylinder with key and the computer would that possibly do the trick.

Back