• Register Today It's free!

These rattles ....

sze kan

Reaction score
City, State
Philippines
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 3.5L V6
I am trying to get rid of most of the rattles in my car, the most annoying ones are coming from the door. Every time I go on rough road , the doors rattle and sound as if it’s a 30 year old car. I tired to tape the door hatch and that have seemed to fix my problem. However, the tape keeps cutting up due to the door latch and sadly this fix only last few days before I have to tape it up again... does anyone know how to fix this permanently?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it happen on all 4 doors?

If it had not been all doors I was going to suggest trying to interchange the latches in case one was worn more than the other. Not sure what to suggest now. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment on them. I don't recall anyone else having this issue.

Peter

Could try strategically sticking some foam weather strips around where the door and frame seal/contact creating a wedge/dampening effect.

Depending on the size the bracket holes are compared to bolts, you could try loosening the bracket an seeing if will move inward some. I've found there is a sweet spot on older ones with the single bolt strikers and there is enough play to allow for finer adjustments. Too far in and the door won't latch, too far out and it rattles.

Could try strategically sticking some foam weather strips around where the door and frame seal/contact creating a wedge/dampening effect.........
Good suggestion. I had a glovebox in one of the Highlanders that had a rattle and fixed it with a strip of weather stripping. Forgot about that.

Peter

I have tried weather stripping on the sides of the glove compartment and the middle console as they both rattled.. its fixed them up nicely but as far as the doors are concerned, I believe there is a play between the hinge and the door latch vertically. I tried to hammer the hatch but the son of a B.. is just to solid to move..

I'd still try sticking thicker foam between the doors and frame. If that don't work, loosen the striker (with a torx bit, not a hammer) and see how much play there is and adjust accordingly. If either of those don't fix it, then now would be a good time to sell it.. ;)

Depending on the size the bracket holes are compared to bolts, you could try loosening the bracket an seeing if will move inward some.

Loosen the striker (with a torx bit, not a hammer) and see how much play there is and adjust accordingly.
Surprised the OP hasn't mentioned that. Hammer alone won't do anything except possible damage. Outline the current position with a Sharpie marker first, then using the correct size Torx socket move slightly inward IF possible. Tighten the screws just snug and test each door. +/- 1/16 inch is the difference between a door that doesn't rattle and is properly aligned. Once dialed in, torque to the factory 16 ft/lb. spec, and use a Q-Tip soaked in rubbing alcohol to remove the Sharpie outline.

I think I saw a Video of someone using a rubber mallet to knock the hinge because it was rattling for him....

Ok so I tried to close the door and press hard against it, there is no play whatsoever, so not sure if I have to adjust the hinge up/down or left/right? In all the door hinge, I can see some rubbing faded marks underneath the hinge from where the tape always tears open. So I assume I need to adjust the hinge downwards?

Door STRIKERS, not hinges. Get the correct Torx socket first, and see if the strikers can be moved. Mark before loosening.

I agree adjust the latches. If you are not sure drop by a body shop ad have them do it, shouldn't cost much. I could take mine to my selling dealer and the body shop there wold do it for free.

Also look at the tape you had on it. The worn area is the way it needs to move.

I agree adjust the latches. If you are not sure drop by a body shop ad have them do it, shouldn't cost much. I could take mine to my selling dealer and the body shop there wold do it for free.

Also look at the tape you had on it. The worn area is the way it needs to move.
Just looking at the latches in the picture, I would say that there is no adjustment possible. I hope I'm wrong.

Peter

I have had rattles on the latches that were only fixed with lithium grease. Make that latch nice and greasy on the pillar side, then on the door latch itself, set it to the closed position, slather it up, pull the door handle to release the latch back to open, shut, and repeat a few times.

Just looking at the latches in the picture, I would say that there is no adjustment possible. I hope I'm wrong.

Peter

I think you're right Peter...

0.jpg

The holes are countersunk which mean the bolts are too which means it would center itself.

On the single bolt strikers, the bracket inside the pillar that the bolt screws into is actually loose, which allows for the adjustment.Unless it's loose on these as well, it's not happening. Now if you used bolts with non-countersunk heads, maybe you could.

Hmm...

Good pic, definitely not adjustable. If not too expensive, maybe elongate the holes to try? Again, it doesn't take much.

I think you're right Peter...

0.jpg

The holes are countersunk which mean the bolts are too which means it would center itself.

On the single bolt strikers, the bracket inside the pillar that the bolt screws into is actually loose, which allows for the adjustment.Unless it's loose on these as well, it's not happening. Now if you used bolts with non-countersunk heads, maybe you could.

Hmm...

Great picture of the Striker. The latch is on the door and has the hasp that opens and closes around the striker. As said above adjust the door Latches not the striker. Look at your body lines with the door closed and make sure they line up. If you are not sure how to adjust a latch I suggest you drop by a body shop and have it done. Look at item 16 and item 8

Lock & Hardware for 2017 Ford Explorer | TascaParts

Instead of adjusting the striker, what about adjusting the door a bit? There's a whole procedure on this in the WSM.

I have had rattles on the latches that were only fixed with lithium grease. Make that latch nice and greasy on the pillar side, then on the door latch itself, set it to the closed position, slather it up, pull the door handle to release the latch back to open, shut, and repeat a few times.
Really the best advice and the FIRST thing the OP should try before attempting adjustments. From previous replies, sounds like little or no experience adjusting doors, latches, or hinges. For ease of applying, highly recommend using white lithium aerosol spray in moderation BEFORE attempting adjustments. Should be considered preventative maintenance anyway.GL

latch-lubrication-general-procedures.pdf

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back