Dual Moon roof Rattle | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dual Moon roof Rattle

Brought it to my dealer and said they could not replicate it. This rattle plus the dash board rattle annoy the hell out of me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine was a clip on the sunroof drain line that was loose. Dealer fixed it.

Mine was a clip on the sunroof drain line that was loose. Dealer fixed it.

Would you mind posting the photo where this is specifically located?

Thank you in advance!

This isn't good

If you look at post #29 in the thread, you'll see I had the whole rear glass panel replaced. We just had a bad down pour and I was out in it. Came home and was getting some things out of the back and noticed water and water marks on the (inside) left side. The water was coming from where the headliner meets the plastic at the bottom of the rear side window. Called the dealer, going in (again) on Monday. This is my first Ford and I'm starting to get pretty disappointed with the build quality. It's a little over a year old with 13,000 miles.

My 2013 Started rattling a couple mos ago. It went from intermittently to constant. If I put my hand on the headliner between the 2 pieces of glass, it stops. Reach up inside from the back and touch the cross bar, it stops. Nothing feels loose though. Weird. It's going in this week to get checked out. I'll post how I made out. Still love it though! :)

Rattle/Water leak

I'm posting this here because I had the moon roof panel completely replaced two months ago to fix the rattle and then developed a water leak in the rear driver's side. Just got my 2013 XLT back from the dealer after 2 days. Service manager stated there were some drain holes "clogged" and one was "out of alignment." This is 2 months after the rear moon roof panel was completely replaced. I'm thinking that vehicles that have these big vista type roofs just can't take the flexing and torque from every day use. My wife had the older style Cadillac SRX that had a large moveable roof panel and although it never leaked, it rattled and creaked. Especially in the winter. It's one of the reasons she traded in. :frustrate

...It's going in this week to get checked out. I'll post how I made out. Still love it though! :)

I'll keep an eye on this thread, jwright4, but feel free to contact me directly via PM if you need my help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited and I also have rattling in the moon roof. I took it to the dealership and was told Ford has not issued any notices to dealership service departments on how to fix the problem. I then called Ford and reported the problem, but this did not help either. I submitted a complaint in the online system, but received no response. I'm wondering if the lemon law would apply if they cannot correct the problem. The rattling is so loud at times that I have to apologize to other people riding with me because it is hard to have a conversation. Not sure what to do to get the problem resolved. Very disappointing!

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited and I also have rattling in the moon roof. I took it to the dealership and was told Ford has not issued any notices to dealership service departments on how to fix the problem. I then called Ford and reported the problem, but this did not help either. I submitted a complaint in the online system, but received no response. I'm wondering if the lemon law would apply if they cannot correct the problem. The rattling is so loud at times that I have to apologize to other people riding with me because it is hard to have a conversation. Not sure what to do to get the problem resolved. Very disappointing!
Welcome to the Forum Newexplorerowner.:wavey:
I would think that the dealer would at least try and find out why it is rattling. That is what they are supposed to do. Investigate and repair. Unfortunately some times we owners have to try and pinpoint the trouble. Is the noise there whether the shade is fully closed or open? How about when the panel is tilted or open?
I would suggest that you contact Crystal (FordService), one of the Ford reps on this forum. You can send her a PM (private message) using her post above or with this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
Include your name, daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership info in your message.

Peter

Thanks. I took your advice and sent Crystal a private message. I'm waiting on her reply. I did pinpoint the problem to the track system in the moonroof, so we'll see if it can be corrected.

Thanks. I took your advice and sent Crystal a private message. I'm waiting on her reply...

You have a message from me waiting in your inbox, Newexplorerowner; let me know if I can be of further assistance. :D

Crystal

2015 Explorer Sunroof Rattle

Spent $45K on a Ford Explorer and after 500 miles, rattles from the sunroof area started. Took the car into the dealer who had it for six days.....picked it up, drove it off the lot and five or so miles later, rattles started again. Took it back in after the weekend this past Monday and hopefully they fix it this time. I have always bought Honda's and Toyota's as this is my first Ford....have always been concerned about quality when it comes Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc. I am hoping they get it fixed this time and the issue is only temporary as it is extremely annoying, especially considering the amount of money spent and the newness of the vehicle. Other than the rattle, I am pleased thus far.

I had 3 Highlanders over a 10 year period and had no hesitation in moving into the 2011 Explorer Ltd after seeing pictures of it. I actually never saw one in person until mine arrived at the dealership. During the time I had it, I had no issues with the moonroof at all and was very happy with the vehicle. Is the rattle noise there whether the moonroof is open or closed? What about when the shade is closed?

Peter

Spent $45K on a Ford Explorer and after 500 miles, rattles from the sunroof area started. Took the car into the dealer who had it for six days.....picked it up, drove it off the lot and five or so miles later, rattles started again. Took it back in after the weekend this past Monday and hopefully they fix it this time...

Any news from the dealership, mftasch? If you'd like, I'd be happy to escalate this to your regional customer service manager; they'll coordinate with your dealership on silencing the rattle noise. To make that happen, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. Leave the rest to me. :thumbsup:

Crystal

The rear (second) moon roof rattles towards the back of the car. There's a metal rim between the headliner and the glass which is the source of the rattle. If I press firmly up on the metal rim, the rattle stops. I'll be taking it into the dealer, but was curious if anyone else has encountered this, and if/how it was fixed. Other than this annoying rattle, I'm happy with the Explorer so far (although I've had the screen lock up a couple of times when I hooked up my iPhone).

Exact same issue going on with mine at 70,000 miles. Its very annoying especially over bumps. If I push up on the back glass the rattle goes away. I have tried tightening up the bolts without any luck, so I am hoping the sealant fix was successful?

The rattle happens regardless of whether it was open or closed....more loud when closed. Got it back from the dealer two days ago and it seems to have been fixed.....service manager said the glass was loose and tightened it up towards the rear of the sunroof. Fingers crossed is stays that way because outside of this issue, enjoy the ride.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spent $45K on a Ford Explorer and after 500 miles, rattles from the sunroof area started. Took the car into the dealer who had it for six days.....picked it up, drove it off the lot and five or so miles later, rattles started again. Took it back in after the weekend this past Monday and hopefully they fix it this time. I have always bought Honda's and Toyota's as this is my first Ford....have always been concerned about quality when it comes Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc. I am hoping they get it fixed this time and the issue is only temporary as it is extremely annoying, especially considering the amount of money spent and the newness of the vehicle. Other than the rattle, I am pleased thus far.

Picked the car up and was rattle free for a couple days as I had the sunroof open....weather went south and closed the sunroof causing the rattle to come back. Now need to take it in for a third time. When I press up against the roof in between the front and back sunroofs, the rattle stops. Will be taking it back in next week hopefully for a last time.

Back