Thinking of buying 02 Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking of buying 02 Mountaineer

jakobe06

Reaction score
City, State
Clovis, NM
My mom has a friend that she works with that is selling a 02 v8 AWD Mountaineer with 100,000 miles for 4 Grand. To me this sounds like a good deal, but I get on the internet and research it just a little bit and now I'm not so sure. This will not be a daily driven vehicle, but a vehicle that will be drivin in snow, rain, or any weather were my daily driver (a fully built Acura Integra) cannot be driven. I need something that is up off the ground unlike my car. The previous 2 owners work with my mom, and the first owner purchased vehicle new. They both have said that either of them has not had any problems with the truck. I am one that would probably put 20 in rims on it because I like the look of it. I have previously own a 2wd 03 explorer and was really satisfied with it, so thats why I was looking at this. Please help with your opinions. But do not think I am stupid because like stated above, I am truly into Hondas, just asking for a little information.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds kinda high in the price department to me. Do some research, fleabay and craigslist aren't bad places to start. I'm kinda partial to second gen X's, and 3-4 grand would buy a sweet one.
If I may ask you a question.. why put 20's on a truck you are only going to drive in foul weather? Are there even good snow/rain tires in 20 inch? I don't know the answer to that.

Nah, I've been looking at Gen III's for a couple of months now, and the Gen III's are solidly above $5k for 130k+ miles. That's not a bad deal actually, assuming it's clean and in good mechanical shape.

Just our market here, though. Gen II 1999-2001 V8's are $3,900-$6,900 and Gen III V8's are running $5,900-$10,900 (for 2002-2005's) It could be different in NH... (or NM)

Yeah, the market is definately different here

I love my 02 mountaineer one of best vehicles I ever owned

it's a good deal when nothing breaks after you bought it. If you're a DIY guy that's not a bad deal. If you depend mainly on shops or dealership to do some repairs then think twice since it's not cheap. Anything could happen at 100k, transmission, HVAC, transfer case leaks, differential leaks, ball joints, coil springs etc.....

mine is over 100k and it's a love-hate relationship with my mounty. I have a 92 mercury sable (sold at 130k), 97 taurus (sold at 145k) and 98 continental (106k and daily driver) and this truck has the most repairs.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer?sk=photos

If nothing has been done it could get very expensive to maintain. 02 model years are hit or miss, most have alot of concerns and would be the least desired year.

I bought my 02 explorer last summer for 5k it had around 113,000 miles, i thought it was a great deal, other similar trucks in the area were 8-9k with around the same mileage.

within the first week of owning it I replaced
rear coil springs/shocks
spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, oil change, etc
front wheel bearing

In the last few months I have
changed front and rear diff fluid
transfer case fluid

I have but about 5k miles on the truck with no major break downs yet
4 grand is a good deal but im sure you will be putting at least 500-600 if not 1000 bucks into it right off the bat

Also since the one you are interested in is a V8 its coming without all the 4.0l problems

Most of the guys here will probably back me in saying that the 4.6s are way better than the 4.0. The V8 is lighter faster and stronger than the V6, and in some cases you may get better fuel economy in the V8

Back