Third brake light : something missing? : 1994 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Third brake light : something missing? : 1994

drumupload

Reaction score
Ford Explorer 1994 Limited Edition

First, here are some pictures of my third brake light.
4.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Supposedly, I bought the right bulb but I don't see how the bulb would fit into the socket. Is there a part missing? It seems like there should be a piece that holds the bulb.

One day, I noticed the third brake light wasn't working. I took the unit apart and didn't see any bulbs. Nothing.

Thanks guys (and gals)!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It appears to me that the bulb would slide into the rectangular gaps that go up and down in the second pic. I haven't had to replace the third brake light bulbs on my X yet so I can't say for certain, but I'd think it would work.

Pat

I had the same thing on my 94 Navajo. My highmount wasnt working so I took the lense out and the bulbs were missing. The bulbs slide in side ways and are supposed to be held in by two plastic clips that break over time you should be able to see whats left of the plastic tabs by inspecting to the right and left of the metal contacts. I fixed mine by using an expoxy that works on plastic and glass and glued the new bulbs in. It has been working great for months now.

Yeah that's how they go in. But there's another 3rd brake light out there that has holes on each end the bulbs just twist into. I had to replace mine & got this other 3rd brake light off of Ebay. The wire harness was the same.

I also don't recognize those middle two pictures. My 93 has the housing with two holes in it. The bulbs press into the wiring connectors, and those twist into the housing. Bulb#912 wasn't it? Good luck,

That's how my 93 is too (obviously). That's weird that they made the 94 different. I just replaced the bulbs in mine a couple weeks ago and the wiring connector that the bulbs plugged in to was looking a little cooked, as if the bulbs were generating too much heat.

Back