This one is for the tube bender experts... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

This one is for the tube bender experts...

splodo49

Ejection seat man..
Reaction score
City, State
Tooele,Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT,75 FJ, 05 Cummins
Im getting into tube bending im buying a model 3 or 5 and was wondering what is the good die that i could maximize my use out of for bumpers, rock sliders,and doors.I know you need alot different dies but im getting into this and dont have all the money in the world to buy and million dies at around 150 a pop... Also whats a average or good clr for the type of work im gonna do.. Thanks all info will help ( im a begginer) O yeah i was thinkin of a 1.5 or 1 3/4 die..

IMO the 1.75 with a 5 or 5.5 CLR is about the best all around size to begin with. The 1.5 seems a bit puny for the weight of an Explorer when fitted up to it. I personally use the 1.75 die 95% of the time, and borrow my friends 1" otherwise. Seems most of my 1.5 tube is used for gussets and straight shots to this point. I will probably buy a 1.5" next since I have access to the 1" and a 2" from friends.

BTW, getting a bender is the by far the single best tool I've purchased. You no longer have to live with the "they don't make that for an Explorer" line, plus the few shops that will do custom tube work are all way overpriced compared to buying the equipment and learning the skill yourself.

Thanks fellas

Hey thanks for the info..Im lookin at about 1 month to get the bender.. Im waiting on my return. I cant wait to start..O yeah i was thinkin about gettin the pnuematic ram...Anyone have any comments about a air operated ram.. :thumbsup: :thumbdwn:

Back