• Register Today It's free!

Those pesky spark plugs!!

ilikedellcomputers

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Jetta GLX VR6
Ok, I went out to my local hardware store and bought 6 Bosch Platinum spark plugs. When I bought them I was pretty psyched that these "revolutionary" spark plugs would do the trick of correcting my poor gas mileage that Explorers are notoriously known for. When I got home it was a different story, how the heck do I get my socket set in the area where I need to unscrew the spark plugs, it's so tight.

What I am asking from you guys (the Ford Explorer Message Board crew) is to tell me what you did to get at these little buggers (the spark plugs), or is there something that I am missing from my general engine knowledge?

Really appreciate your help, look forward to reading your replies.

Regards,

ilikedellcomputers

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All right guys, here you go. The passenger side plugs are much harder to get to. In order to access the rear plug on the passenger side you must reach through the wheel well access area to get out the plug, if you look the wheel well behind the heater box you will see that last plug. The other plugs on that side are easier to remove if you push the spark plug socket onto the plug and then plug the ratchet extension into the socket. On the ones that can't be accessed by a ratchet(I think I got all mine with a ratchet) you can use an open end wrench on the spark plug socket. Sometimes the old boots don't want to come off, if you have new wires its not to difficult to cut off the old boots with a sharp knife. Good luck, hope I could help.

I'm not sure exactly how the V6 sits, but on my V8, I got to all the plugs via the wheel wells. Just pulled away the rubber skirts, and it was a straight shot to all the plugs. It was a lot easier than climbing around the engine compartment. Hopefully yours are just as easy.

Ok, I appreciate all of the help, I will attempt the procedure tomorrow after work, if I have any more questions, I will be sure to ask!

Regards,

ilikedellcomputers

Peter

I found that the easiest way to get the plugs replaced was....to pay someone else. It was just too damn cold...too damn hard to reach...and too damn hard to get them out. For $60 it was worth someone else doing it.

Plugs are not that hard, you will need a couple of different sizes of extensions and access the last two on the passenger side through the wheel well, you kind of have to go by feel because you will not be able to see it to well. I did plugs and wires 2 weeks ago and it took me an hour, good luck. BTW put some anti sieze on your new plugs, it will make the next change alot easier. I also cleaned my engine before I started so I could get the sand and crap out of the plug holes, plus it made a cleaner job.

Don

well

Did it myself just awhile ago..

To make it easier, in addition to a regular 5/8" spark plug socket, 3/8 drive ratchet, and extensions, I advise using a deep 5/8 socket and a 3/8 breaker bar...use the deep well 5/8 with the breaker bar to pop the plugs loose...this is especially helpful if the old plugs didnt have anti-seize put on. You can pretty much just use the deep well instead of the spark plug socket for removal...but its best and easiest to use the spark plug socket to get em lined up for the install. Its a little tricky gettin the passenger side plugs, but the front two come out with minimal effort, and just make sure you jack the passenger side all the way up in front and the last plug is pretty easy..just use that breaker bar to pop em loose.

Also, anyone replacing their plugs would do well to replace their factory wires at the same time...almost anything is better..

torqing plugs

Hand tighten the plugs, to make sure you don't crossthread them. Then make sure you torque your plugs to about 14-16 foot/lbs. This is at the upper end of the torque range for the Explorer. I have found that if you use anti-seize and only torque them to 12 ft/lbs you might have them come loose on you after a few days running...

Back