• Register Today It's free!

Thought I'd share my D35 Swap.

HahnsB2

Reaction score
City, State
Battle Ground WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 Bronco II
Finally pillaged my dads 2.3 ranger for it's 4.10 D35 this weekend and Aussie Locked it. I have a manual 1354 I'm going to put in and an exploder shaft so I don't have to shorten my original shaft.

D35 out and apart, notice mikly gear oil :eek13:
hpim0417hc5.jpg

Beam pressure washed and wire wheeled.
hpim0420lk0.jpg

Letting the torch work alone on the radius arm bolts.
hpim0421vd1.jpg

Aussie in, notice the rusty spot on the carrier, I'm sure it has something to do with the mikly gear oil, I'm not worried though, my original 7.5 had rust halfway up the inside of the diff and the ring gear was all pitted when I got it but it never gave me any trouble.
hpim0424sf9.jpg

E clip eliminator spring.
hpim0426eq9.jpg

D35 in.
hpim0427ex8.jpg

Fawk you spider gears!
hpim0428ol3.jpg

Sticker
hpim0429fh1.jpg

Poser shot.
hpim0431gw0.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great pics. Do you have plans to swap out the 7.5 for an 8.8?

Great pics. Do you have plans to swap out the 7.5 for an 8.8?
Probably not for a while, the 7.5 is tough *******, especially when locked. The lock-right in it was used in a B2 on 33s and he beat the hell out of it and never broke it :D

Looks good.

How much wider is your front track width now over the 7.5?

Probably 1 1/2 - 2" per side, not super noticable/doesn't really bother me.

Nice:thumbsup:

You'll have to let me know how it drives with the front locked.

My locker will hopefully be installed by the end of the month.

...I like to see ranger parts living a full life...:thumbsup:...Just curious, what year ranger did the parts come from..:scratch:

sweet man, i love how you ran your exhaust. I would have sidepip'd mine already but the pa state inspection wont allow that

...I like to see ranger parts living a full life...:thumbsup:...Just curious, what year ranger did the parts come from..:scratch:
90 2.3 4x4, Only 90-92 2.3 4x4s had the full 4.10 D35 and some 2.9 auto 4x4s in those years are rumored to have them too.
Here's a pic of the ranger just after he got it, paint is a little dull but it's a great running clean truck.
rangertn1.jpg

...Also, they came with the 95 2.3L rangers too...mine has the 4.10's, 7.5 rear, but open at both ends...:D

Are you sure it's not the hybrid?

...It is tagged as the "Hybrid", but all replacement parts are the same...:dunno:

...It is tagged as the "Hybrid", but all replacement parts are the same...:dunno:
The easiest way to tell is the housing on a hybrid is smooth and the full is ribbed. The hybrid is essentially a D35 with a 28 carrier and the inner shafts are necked down, other than that it's the same as a D35.
Here's a hybrid, you can see the large solid spot to the right where a larger D35 carrier normally resides.
Dana35-28dot.jpg

...This I am aware of...Thanks for the pic from TRS...That is why mine doesn't have any aussies...;)

..I am curious about your aussie sticker, did yours come with the locker or did you get the little business card with a link like I did when I locked my X..:scratch:

Yeah, it came with it, someone else I know who bought an Aussie for his 8.8 a bit before I bought mine also claimed his didn't come with one either, must be a recent thing, I'm always looking for excuses to add more stickers to my rig, now I just need a lock-right sticker :D . The sploder parts rig got towed home today so I'll take its manual 1354 this weekend and see if I can't have some fun with the D35.

...I put my aussie up front on my X and all I got was a card..:p:...You can talk to Aussie Locker as they are on here too...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136355

...I may throw a loc-rite in my ranger though, but I would rather start a ranger project instead..;)...Keep posting pics of your progress..:thumbsup:

Back