Thud clunking noise. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thud clunking noise.

JeffsSport

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Go a 13 Sport and for the past month been hearing a clanking thud type noise from the middle to rear of the car and not sure what it is. Almost sounds like something flapping at around 20-40 mph. Anyone else have this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

idk i changed my front diff and the cv were all fine and all now today i hear like a sqeaking noise not clunking i get under theirer and my cv it seperated frome the diff a lil and theirs dirt it their idk if its a seal or what but its annoying on the hight way it like im drivving over speed bumps

Car only has 2k on it and I'll have to crawl under there to check it out.

Go a 13 Sport and for the past month been hearing a clanking thud type noise from the middle to rear of the car and not sure what it is. Almost sounds like something flapping at around 20-40 mph. Anyone else have this problem?
Do you have the tow package Jeff? If so, it could be that the air scoop under the vehicle is loose. I think it is located near the middle. A few members have had it come loose.

Peter

Do you have the tow package Jeff? If so, it could be that the air scoop under the vehicle is loose. I think it is located near the middle. A few members have had it come loose.

Peter

No tow package but I do have that cooling scope. I'll check it out. Thanks

I have noticed the same noise and different low level speeds. Sounds almost like a plastic flap closing. Sound seems to emanate from under the front to mid of drivers side but hard to tell.

I have noticed the same noise and different low level speeds. Sounds almost like a plastic flap closing. Sound seems to emanate from under the front to mid of drivers side but hard to tell.
Did you check to see that the air scoop under the vehicle is secure? I believe it held in place with a few twist type screws and others have had it come loose before.

Peter

Did you check to see that the air scoop under the vehicle is secure? I believe it held in place with a few twist type screws and others have had it come loose before.

Peter[/QUO
CI

I checked mine and it was good. This noise is coming from farther back. I have yet to be able to get under the car to check further but it's still there and like was said it's at varying speeds.

Hi JeffsSport and Penumbra,

A good first step is making an appointment at your dealership so that they can take a look. Ford certified techs are in the best position to track down mystery noises and get them resolved. I'm also happy to look into ways I can assist; send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll get to work!

Crystal

Back