Ford Explorer 2012 Gear Box Thud Noise - HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer 2012 Gear Box Thud Noise - HELP

Mr_Wiggles

Reaction score
City, State
Dubai
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012
Hello All,

Recently I had noticed a gearbox thud at slow speed, especially when the change is from 1st to 2nd as I eased off the accelerator. It normally happened when I am trying to park the car.

I had the car looked into by the dealer and he didn't really say what they did, but it seemed to work.

But now the thud noise is back

I am planning to take the car back in to the dealership soon as the car is still under warranty and get them to check it out.

Has anyone faced this problem before?

Any advise would be grateful?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2011 Limited does this as well. If I am slowing down and coast a bit with my foot off the gas pedal, and my speed is around 20-30 mph, I get a flunk like the transmission was out of gear and slams back into gear. There is a TSB for this which requires an extra hole to be drilled in the valve body of the transmission, along with removing one of the ball bearings.

I have to make an appointment for a squeaking pulley, and am going to have them address this problem at the same time.

These are not nicknamed 'exploders' by mechanics for no reason. This has been going on since the Sport was a 2 door model. Tranny's have always been the weak link.

...I have to make an appointment for a squeaking pulley, and am going to have them address this problem at the same time.

Be sure to let us know how the trip to your dealership goes, SJExplorer. If you need my help after your appointment, just send me your info in a PM and I'll see what I can do to assist. In your PM, include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

My 2013 with 9K miles on it does this too. If you are driving slow and let off the gas or brake, then accelerate again it clunks or pops/jolts. Or, if I am accelerating and have to let off and brake then accelerate again mine slams into the next gear. It's almost like it gets confused when you are accelerating then let off for a sec because you aren't sure what the car in front of you is doing, then you have to accelerate again to keep up with traffic. I'll call it a quirk... I don't think it's abnormal, I think it is just the programming of the trans. It doesn't do it for my wife, she drives much harder than I do though....

Can someone point me to the TSB SJExplorer was referring to?

Thanks

Back