• Register Today It's free!

Thump when driving...

LesMinton

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Hi. Ok, I have a 2000 Explorer XLT, 4x4. Recently, while driving at pretty much any speed, but mostly under 50 mph, if I hit the right kind of bumps I will hear a thump from under the front end, seems like the left side. It causes me some concern obviously, but other than the thump there are no other changes with the way it drives.

Anyone have any idea where I can look for a solution?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check the sway bar end links, the same thing happened to me. use the search function to look up how to change them, they are cheap and fairly easy to do as well

I also had the same problem. Sway bar.

I like the idea about the sway bar. Hopefully thats all it is, looks simple enough to fix. Will check that this weekend. Thanks!

I like the idea about the sway bar. Hopefully thats all it is, looks simple enough to fix. Will check that this weekend. Thanks!

Thanks for the help! I just wanted to update:

I took a look at the sway bar end links on my Explorer, first the passenger side, saw nothing unusual, then I looked at the driver side, and the end link was broken right where it bolts onto the sway bar.

It looked easy enough to change myself, but one of the guys that I work with worked on cars for years, and he enjoys it, and said he would fix it for a 6 pack. Well, as cold as it is up here in Maine right now, I took him up on it, and glad I did. He actually had to use an angle grinder to get the old ones off, which I dont have.

Thanks again for all the help!

did it fix the problem?

Back