Thumping noise from the front end. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thumping noise from the front end.

next....

was out swapping front and rear tires and noticed a bunch of play in the front passenger wheel. No movement of ball joints or tie rod end but seemed to pivot in the wheel hub itself. Just ordered one and will replace later this week.

Thanks guys will keep ya updated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you may want to have the front rear end looked, at the bearing in the pumpkin head may be going out

r&r hub assembly..all good now

feadma

I am reading this old thread and may have the same problem. my son took 2002 explorer to the mountains. put it in 4x4 high on dry roads. had it in high when back on the highway for several miles. now when you push down on gas to accelerate fast, or go up a hill at slow speed, there is a thumping noise and a feeling of hesitation coming from the front end. at first I thought it might be the transmission, but it seems to be shifting just fine. the noise quits when you stop the high acceleration and just cruise along.

any thoughts?

feadma,
I sold the explorer in 2011 with 188,000 miles. The noise never went away and she still did everything I asked it to do. Someone suggested new tires. I traded it in with 2 year old tires. I don't know what to tell ya except keep driving her. I now own a 2011 F150. A lot better gas mileage but I got 2 wd

guys I replaced the front passenger side cv axle shaft...still rhythmic clunking noise above 20mph that increases with wheel speed (not rpm's)

Started thinking maybe u-joint in driveshaft..pulled front driveshaft, u-joint seemed fine. Drove around the block with front driveshaft out..still clunking noise from front passenger side. Could this just be a wheel out of balance? I'm running out of ideas and parts to replace.

Thanks for all your help.

Back