Help please Humming/thumping sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help please Humming/thumping sound

07fordexploer87

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 ford explorer
I have a 07 ford explorer EB AWD. While driving from 20-65 mph I have a consistent humming/thumping sound from front . Sounds like a " da da da da da da" checked wheel bearings they had no play. Replaced front pads/ rotors calipers where good had a brake pulsation thought maybe out of round rotor. But still have the same noise seems like the noise is getting worse . Also checked all the tires no funny wear also rotated them to see if the sound would have moved to back. Any ideas Thanks Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it sound like a bad wheel bearing? From my experience and others the wheel bearings will not show any play but will make noise. Try turning the steering wheel slightly while driving at a speed the the noise is heard and see if the noise gets louder.

Yea sounds just like a wheel bearing. But no play the noise been getting louder over the past month. I heard it could be the front diff. I just don't want to break down somewhere. Trying to figure out the problem with out just throwing parts at it. But thanks you so much for for your time for an anser.

There is a possibility it is the diff you could start by checking for leaks at the seals then check the fluid level and condition. But before that I would try the slight turn of the steering wheel both to the right and left and see if the noise gets louder.

Hi, this is my first post, I don't know if you fixed your humming issue but just wanted to share my similar experience that drove me crazy for about a year. I have a 2006 Ford Explorer XLT v6 4x4. I had the same problem and changed both front wheel hubs, removed and opened front differential it looked fine changed leaking seals while I had it opened, put it back and the noise was still there. To make a long story short I found the problem to be a U-joint located in between the front differential and the small drive-shaft, it was seized the bearings were dry and rusted it was non- greaseable, I replaced it for $20 from my local auto parts store with a greaseable U-joint.It completely solved my problem. Hope this helps.

Same here
Had a noise, replaced both hubs, was about to replace the differential.

It ended being a $20 front ujoint. 1 of the 4 caps was seized.

Back