• Register Today It's free!

tick tick toc

smegun

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer xlt
have tick at idle its not prevalent goes away but .when i hit the Excell its definitely prevalent and doesnt go away after warm up .....I had heads originally magna fluxed and a new valve and seat put in at a local machine shop after a sucked valve currently there are new rockers new lifters and new rods ive checked the rods and rockers and they look new no dents but between the machine shop and or problems i was having with tick and valves i have what sounds like a tick almost knock at revs ....sounds like the the second turn on the cam like about the same amount of time youd expect on a spark plug fire anyway i didnt check the lifters yet im worried i didnt get a self adjusting ball bearing in one of my lifters or the roller wheel is stuck wont know till i get there again purrs like kitten otherwise at idle

who has had similar instances i mean the tick on the slop but i dont have any indication of rods or rockers anybody have issues with springs or lifters that make the melody this truck seems to have

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

immma guess lifter on this one. got a clip of it?

I had the same noise when my Camshaft Position Sensor was out of alignment. Given yours is a 94, it has one. Wouldn't hurt to check.

I had the same noise when my Camshaft Position Sensor was out of alignment. Given yours is a 94, it has one. Wouldn't hurt to check.
IMG_20190722_180709474.jpg

that again :/ not sure? ... i painstakingly adjusted that forgot about that little @#$%! ... i was thinking that when i got my heads done the guys gave some of my springs a lift with some washers/shims .... out of experience .....im still questioning the valve job .... the sensor driven by oil pump ????? but its a minor role supposedly at least it shouldnt keep it from starting .... im caught between vacuum advance and this bugger cps without them though there is no passing speed it will run off the ignition module anyway kinda sucks altogether without exp and dyno tools and keen ear for these im a novice mechanic why do you say the cam sensor i mean what is the science

I've got a brand new LKQ 4.0 and it occasionally has a lifter tick, not on cold starts usually after it has been warmed up but it goes away. From what I understand is a poor lifter oiling design or a bad batch of lifters that can leak oil pressure. Maybe you got a bad batch as well. You would have to turn the motor over and water the valves at TDC and measure the play in the rocker arm to see for sure.

Back