Tickety Tickety Tick noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tickety Tickety Tick noise

david zavetsky

Reaction score
I seem to have a "light" ticking noise (irretgular beat) when the truck is idling.......Doesnt SOUND like its coming from the engine itself, more like the front of the engine.....It almost sounds like the alternator, but its hard to tell......

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

had a similar noise in mine a few weeks ago, thinking it was the water pump going out, i replaced it. only to find out it was NOT the water pump. mine sounded like a bad bearing. ended up being my bendix gear in my starter. replaced it and my problems vanished! Dead Link Removed

------------------
SCOTTC
93XLT 4X4 4DR.

So soon we get Old, and so late we get Smart!

I found the same thing in/on an otherwise immaculate '91 XLT-4WD, and assumed it was either a bad Lifter (although the click came and went) or a Fuel Injector noise.

The noise killed the sale for us buying a VERY nice '91 for $4500...instead we got a different VERY nice '92 XLT-4WD (100K+ miles) for $1200 more.

Too many years of GM V-8's has tuned my hearing for clicks and snaps...

Check on your power steering. Mine was making that type of noise till one day it blew the bearin's. that was REAL fun. Driving down the road...oh look no power stearing and your belt has caught fire. ugh. anyways its gotta be a bearing of some sorts.

------------------
Joel McAllister
http://www.napnet.com/projects/truck/default.asp

92 XLT Ford Explorer 4 Door, V6 4.0 2WD Pushrod

My 96 does the same after it is warmed up and when I put it into drive it slows the engine and the irregular ticking begins.I think our problem might be the tesioner on the drive belt everytime the belt shakes the tick is there and I also removed the belt and started it and the ticking wasnt there but who knows if it could be the water or steering pump?

If you have the 4.0L SOHC, it is most likely the cam tensioner. There is a known problem with it. I had the same problem also. Sometimes the ticking would get really load and the idle would drop down to like 500 RPMs. I took it into the dealer after reading all the posts on this board about that particualr part being defective. I told the guy it was making a ticking noise and the cam tensioner probably needs to be replaced. He kinda blew off my sugestion and said "awww, we've replaced the cam tensioners before and it hasn't made a bit of difference.". Keep in mind this was just the guy at counter. I called back the next day to see if it was ready and he said no, that a technician hasn't been able to look at it yet to determing the casuse of the problem. So I call back the next day and it was ready, and they did indeed replace the tensior with a revised version.

Where can I find the cam tensioner? Is it the part that tightens the belt? I have a ticking problem as well. I definitely thought it is a bad bearing. I just want to make sure a cam tensioner is what I think it is.
Thanks for the help.

Back