• Register Today It's free!

Ticking noise at start only

jd92887

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT - 1993 XLT
When I first start my ex, I hear a ticking noise, after about a minute or so, it stops. What could be the problem?
Tensioner pulley?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pop your belt and rotate the pulleys see how it feels. Does your oil pressure rise up to about the halfway point of the gauge as soon as you start it?

The oil pressure gauge only goes to the beginning of normal.

lifter, add lucas and see if it starts, if its a really fast tick just at start up (in summer) and at start up but goes away when warm (winter)

add lucas and see IF it starts?

I had the same ticking problem in an older Explorer I had, Lucas worked very well for the problem.

lifters are good for that, look at the age of the truck, old... and if youve never changed them, they are original, if you use conventional oil, its thick, so after a while they tend to stick, lucas helps, if you really want it to stop, havta change it.

another thing to keep in mind that regular oil pressure on the 4.0 is around the "m" of normal, not sure how many pounds that is but that is at running temp and about 800 rpm. Hydraulic lifters need the pressure to their job. the "N" of the normal of the gauge should still be enough to prime the lifters so yeah Lucas should help. i wouldn't tear into a motor with that low of pressure though unless you asre looking to do a bottom end as well.

thats why mine still ticks, especially in the summer, i havent tore into mine to deal with the tick, rather just hear the tick for a lil bit instead of dumping 100s into it

Back