• Register Today It's free!

Time for a new clutch?

willy2

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport, '02 Sport 4WD
I've got a 98 2WD Sport Manual-5spd, 125k miles, and started to develop an issue, where it seems like something is slipping under any significant acceleration. Never any grinding, just feels like something in the drivetrain is slipping...

From searching the forums, seems like I would hear grinding if it was the clutch that was slipping...

Any idea what this could be, where to start looking??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like it needs adjustment.

Im not sure if the clutch on a ex is hydraulic or a cable. Best bet is to climb under there and take a look. Unlikely the clutch is gone unless its been abused.

The clutch is not adjustable. I would bet its done with 125K.

Just noticed you're in Raleigh. Friend of mine has a lift in the lake wheeler area if you end up needing to swap your clutch.

It sounds to me like a bad clutch. I just went through all this. There is no adjustment. Just a master and slave cylinder. 125k miles is a long life for that clutch. While the trans is off replace the slave cylinder because it may go bad soon and you don't want to pay for all that labor again just for that.

The slave cylinder is inside the bell housing behind the clutch. It looks like a squeeze box. Most people will try to give advice based on the older Ford trans. You have a Mazda trans and I think it's weird.

The aftermarket slave cylinders usually fail prematurely. spend an extra $50. and get one from ford. The other clutch parts can be aftermarket.

If you have it done at a shop make sure you get a good warranty (like 2 years) so you don't have to pay twice for mistakes.

Sorry If this is bad news

Thank-you very much for these details... If you had it done, do you have an idea on what the cost should be to get it done at a shop and/or doing it yourself?

It sounds to me like a bad clutch. I just went through all this. There is no adjustment. Just a master and slave cylinder. 125k miles is a long life for that clutch. While the trans is off replace the slave cylinder because it may go bad soon and you don't want to pay for all that labor again just for that.

The slave cylinder is inside the bell housing behind the clutch. It looks like a squeeze box. Most people will try to give advice based on the older Ford trans. You have a Mazda trans and I think it's weird.

The aftermarket slave cylinders usually fail prematurely. spend an extra $50. and get one from ford. The other clutch parts can be aftermarket.

If you have it done at a shop make sure you get a good warranty (like 2 years) so you don't have to pay twice for mistakes.

Sorry If this is bad news

$500-$750+ depending on your area. It takes two people about 3.5 hours if one of them is experienced and has all the tools. There is about $350 in parts involved. It involves removal of the exhaust, drive shaft, cross member, shifter and trans, basically.

I ended up having a shop do it because I don't have a garage and the weather here is erratic.

Even if you pay a mechanic friend $50 per hour, and you help, you are still in it for $500.

If you have a friend that would do it for free, well, we provably wouldn't be having this conversation.

Thank-you very much. Sounds like more than I want to take on, think I will take it to a shop as well...

I ended up having a shop do it because I don't have a garage and the weather here is erratic.

Even if you pay a mechanic friend $50 per hour, and you help, you are still in it for $500.

If you have a friend that would do it for free, well, we provably wouldn't be having this conversation.

There is about $350 in parts involved.

How do you figure? I just replaced my clutch when I rebuilt my tranny.

The clutch was $140 or so for a Luk. It was $35 to get my flywheel machined. $50 for a slave cylinder.

I priced my parts in Jacksonville, Fl. including a Ford dealer slave cylinder and gave a round figure "just my opinion".

consider the slave up-grade, exhaust gasket trans fluid, resurfacing the fly wheel + misc. and its not that far off.

Bringing this back from idle... my '95 2wd Sport is starting to get very soft pedal with almost no discernible 'bump'; have to push down really hard in order to disengage for shifting, and for the first time it ground reverse when backing into my parking spot at home. Cylinder(s)? Plate? or something else?
I can pick up some parts on my way to work, and get it done there, in the next few days...got a lift and all of the tools, and some help. Just want to know better what it is so I don't skip buying a part I need or buy too much.

Thanks!

Back