Time for Rims and Tires! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for Rims and Tires!

hey guys. im going to summit racing this weekend to get me some new rims and tires, got a couple questions, just as you have gotten before lol

American Eagle Alloy series 58 rims 15x8
Tires will probably Yokohama Geolander AT-S

058_HD.jpg

yok-01239_w.jpg

ill be doing TT, Shackles/AAL too

im thinking of 32x11.50's or 31x10.50's
im not too sure what i should get. the 32s will probably rub, but the 31's would look too small i think

suggestions before i buy?

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't do a TT unless you have plans to to get it aligned the next day...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i got it done today! looks badass now. only lifted explorer in town!!! had to do a little bit of trimming. i took the side skirts off. trimmed the front bumper valance and cut a little bit of the splash gaurd and fender. rubs a little but at full turn if you hit a bump. takes a bit more to get it going, and alot more to get it stopped. handles alot different. i will be getting it alligned in two weeks. i will rotate the tires very often untill then - it shouldnt hurt i wouldnt think.
i cranked the t-bars three turns
i just did TT and AAL i didnt put the warrior shakles on. the back needs a tiny little bit more of lift in it so maybe i will put them on or modify them so they arent as long and put em on. it looks like one pissed off X!

pics asap

hey guys, how much air should i run in these tires? 32x11.50x15's it says max of 50psi, i think they are around 32 now. note that they are drivin 30 miles a day. thanks

well im just going out now to fix those holes left by removing the skirting. masking tape and bed liner lol we'll see how well it turns out, i have read

well all tires are different, you can try the chaulk test...basically fill them to around max....draw a line of chalk across the tire and drive it in a straight line so the tire rotates a few times, and see where the chalk rubs off first...if the chalk rubs of in the center first, drop the psi..and repeat till the chaulk rubs off evenly...

oooo good idea, i guess thats the best way to check.

well guys i tried the masking tape and spray can truck bed liner. its so-so. you can really see the tape even after multiple heavy coats. the edges of the tape are trying to peel.

ill leave it like this untill somone gives me a better idea lol.... atleast the holes are covered, tahts what matters

i know i know. my camera took a crap not too long ago, so im waiting to find someone with one i can borrow lol

Updated With Pics!!!

hey, finally got pics of the rims and tires. as a reminder i did only the TT and AAL's. shackles are going in this weekend with pics following. a 3inch BL is in the near future due to some rubbing issues. i think the suspension settled down or something. got a before and after pic comparison as well as the trimming i did up front.... enjoy!!!

l_e0cd3b809f5b07759fce43ef5bba603a.png

l_7238b6f5688f94b1848bd5f17fe8bbd5.png

ADDED SHACKLES--->
a2fa7.png

0000024gt8.png

0000023ki6.png

0000025hy5.png

Shackles>
fc2ya8.png

trimming

0000021rj6.png

what ya think?

for trimming i used a die grinder and cut a straight line across and removed a piece of the "inner wheel well splash gaurd think" lol then bent the corner of the fender lip over with a hammer

put the shakles on tonight. omg what a task. got the bolts out pretty easy that go thru the leaf spring and the bottom hole of the shackle. now as far as the top bolt in the frame goes....... hours working to get them out. the metal bushing was frozen to the bolt. and they where both stuck the the rubber bushing. the rubber bushing was absorbing all the shock from the hammer. anyway they are in and the assend not sits higher than the front.
a 3 inch BL is coming next just gotta get the 853 kit and im all set

new pics above with shackles on. you can deffinately notice the difference!!!

Back