Time for tires | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Glad to here the Michelin LTX's have been good to you. I'm looking at the Micchelin Defender LTX M/S which I believe replaced the LTX M/S. TireRack reviews look to be quite good for the new ones. Anyone else have any opinions on this tire?

Out of all the tires made for any car or truck, Michelin LTX's may be the best overall tire made. I had two sets of them on my last Explorer, with the first set changed out at just over 80,000 miles and they still had a fair amount of tread left. They ride soft, quiet and grip very well in wet conditions. I can't speak for them snow, but overall great tires with extremely lengthy tread life.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sooo had my tires installed today, also received a $65 rebate via a gift card. Very impressed so far, more to follow.

I am looking at tires.... I was originally going to get Michelins at COSTCO but the Tire guy there got his panties in a bunch about the load rating of some other tires they carry. He said FORD RECOMMENDS 105 LOAD or higher. and the Bridgestones had a 104. Anyone ever run into this? The YOKOHAMA's are very well reviewed and the price is right.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+G055&partnum=46HR8G055&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2012&autoModel=Explorer&autoModClar=XLT#testResults

I am looking at tires.... I was originally going to get Michelins at COSTCO but the Tire guy there got his panties in a bunch about the load rating of some other tires they carry. He said FORD RECOMMENDS 105 LOAD or higher. and the Bridgestones had a 104. Anyone ever run into this? The YOKOHAMA's are very well reviewed and the price is right.
Not sure about that particular tire but I replaced the OEM Hankooks with Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires the day I picked my 2011 Ltd up from the dealership and was very happy with them. I put the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 tires Winter tires on my MKT and never checked the load figure. I don't see the size (235/60R18) listed any more.

Peter

not sure if all sports came with the hankook optimas like mine but I'm think they all did. I can't say I hate the hankooks. They have been a very solid tire for nearly 40k mile so I may just go with them again. Tread wear is excellent, handling is fine and ride quality is fine. Cold wet/snow traction is not quite as stellar as expected but that's probably more a function of the wide Tires on a heavy vehicle than anything else. They've become a bit loud over the past 5000 miles too but they are nearing the end of their life.

Who has replaced their sport's tires and with what tire? Would love to hear from a few. I'm really only interested in hearing From sport owners that have gone with OEM sized all season tires. Thx!

not sure if all sports came with the hankook optimas like mine but I'm think they all did. I can't say I hate the hankooks. They have been a very solid tire for nearly 40k mile so I may just go with them again. Tread wear is excellent, handling is fine and ride quality is fine. Cold wet/snow traction is not quite as stellar as expected but that's probably more a function of the wide Tires on a heavy vehicle than anything else. They've become a bit loud over the past 5000 miles too but they are nearing the end of their life.

Who has replaced their sport's tires and with what tire? Would love to hear from a few. I'm really only interested in hearing From sport owners that have gone with OEM sized all season tires. Thx!
As indicated, your thread has been merged with this existing one. There are several posts here from Sport owners. The cold wet/snow traction is to be expected since they are really a 3 season tire and the rubber stiffens at temps below 44 F. Dedicated Winter or the new All Weather tires will improve that greatly.

Peter

I wonder what people think of the Interceptor tires? The goodyear RSA tires. I heard they have good road performance and wear.

I'm going from my stock Michelin Latitude Tour 245/60 R18 tires with a 104H load index M + S going to 245/55 R18 tires with a 103V rating. The sidewall is smaller on the new tire by 5 so I'm wondering if I need my speedometer calibrated. If so, how do I recalibrate the speedometer?

I wonder what people think of the Interceptor tires? The goodyear RSA tires. I heard they have good road performance and wear.

I'm going from my stock Michelin Latitude Tour 245/60 R18 tires with a 104H load index M + S going to 245/55 R18 tires with a 103V rating. The sidewall is smaller on the new tire by 5 so I'm wondering if I need my speedometer calibrated. If so, how do I recalibrate the speedometer?

I was involved with the development of these tires on the Police program. They are great tires from a wet traction, performance braking perspective but a little stickier than some of the high mileage options. So if you don't mind changing them more often you're fine.

They get tested for a higher level of abuse then a normal tire does. The 30MPH offset curb strike is interesting to watch let alone be driving let me tell you.

I have heard some tire dealers wont sell to the public because they are "Police Only" tires but that's not the norm. I spoke to Firestone about getting some of their FireHawk snow tires after my local rep refused to sell me the Police Firehawk.

With the proposed tire size you will slightly exceed the accepted diameter variance of 3% by 0.3%
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=245-60r18-245-55r18
I'm not aware of the adjustment procedure for the speedometer.

Peter

My thoughts were to go with the option Continental Z rated tires the Explorer Engineers have approved for the Sport suspension setup and then run a separate set of dedicated winters on 18" rims.

Pretty close to going with Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires for my sport. I spoke with tirerack today and that's what they recommended over either Hankook. I had the tires on my Pontiac G8 GT and definitely liked them. They are pricier than the hankooks but per tirerack's own testing the Contis do best in winter/cold, have decent tread life and have a higher load index than even the OEM hankooks.

My thoughts were to go with the option Continental Z rated tires the Explorer Engineers have approved for the Sport suspension setup and then run a separate set of dedicated winters on 18" rims.

Are the Conti ExtremeContact DWS tires you are recommending?

Anyone have recent experience with the Bridgestone Alenza Plus, or the Bridgestone Duehler 422 Ecopia? I had the former on the 2011 and took them off as they howled at speed. I put the latter on and they were smooth and quiet. I hesitate to get them, though, as I learned yesterday they are discontinued. Apparently, they are coming out with an updated version. Not sure when that will happen, though. Would prefer to stick with the Bridgestone brand. Thanks!

Just purchased a new 2016 Sport, I took it out to the high desert in LA, some dirt roads nothing to challenging. The Sport did great just had find my way around two small hills with very loose sand where the original Hankooks it came with could not get enough grip. I was thinking a tire with some more meat on them would make a big difference. I really like the threads on the Nittos Terra Grapplers G2 but I feel like they are a little too much for the Sport. With so many choices out there, it make it pretty hard to narrow it down. I was wondering if you guys could help me out and give me some recommendation on a happy medium. Looking forward to your suggestions. FYI – I will probably be doing 70% street/highway driving and 25% Desert and 5% snow…. We haven’t been getting much snow in LA this past couple of years. :(

Just purchased a new 2016 Sport, I took it out to the high desert in LA, some dirt roads nothing to challenging. The Sport did great just had find my way around two small hills with very loose sand where the original Hankooks it came with could not get enough grip. I was thinking a tire with some more meat on them would make a big difference. I really like the threads on the Nittos Terra Grapplers G2 but I feel like they are a little too much for the Sport. With so many choices out there, it make it pretty hard to narrow it down. I was wondering if you guys could help me out and give me some recommendation on a happy medium. Looking forward to your suggestions. FYI – I will probably be doing 70% street/highway driving and 25% Desert and 5% snow…. We haven’t been getting much snow in LA this past couple of years. :(
2 1/2 years for your 1st post! Welcome.:salute:
The day I picked up my 2011 Limited from the dealer I put on the Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires. They had a little more aggressive tread pattern but I don't know about loose sand traction. Never went off road. I always like to read the owner's reviews on tires I'm not familiar with. I use the Tire Rack and 1010tires sites mainly for that to get an overall impression before making a final decision. Now there are a few All Weather tires, not to be confused with so called All Seasons. I'd seriously look at them if it wasn't for the fact I already have a dedicated Winter set. Good luck.

Peter

2 1/2 years for your 1st post! Welcome.:salute:
The day I picked up my 2011 Limited from the dealer I put on the Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires. They had a little more aggressive tread pattern but I don't know about loose sand traction. Never went off road. I always like to read the owner's reviews on tires I'm not familiar with. I use the Tire Rack and 1010tires sites mainly for that to get an overall impression before making a final decision. Now there are a few All Weather tires, not to be confused with so called All Seasons. I'd seriously look at them if it wasn't for the fact I already have a dedicated Winter set. Good luck.

Peter

after 2 1/2 years I finally pulled the trigger on the sport. Thank you for the suggestion

Anyone have recent experience with the Bridgestone Alenza Plus
Yes. I have them on 2 vehicles (Explorer and Touareg TDI). Excellent tire, quiet, good wear.

Yes. I have them on 2 vehicles (Explorer and Touareg TDI). Excellent tire, quiet, good wear.
I second that. I have had them on my 2012 Ex. Ltd for about 55,000 miles and they still show plenty of tread. Quiet tire on the road and far better traction in snow than the original Hankooks from the factory.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK so suppose you have a slightly over 1 year old Ford Exploder - with 31K miles on the clock.

and you never bothered to rotate the tires because well they want money, and you don't like the tires anyway.

so the fronts wore down pretty good - I recently swapped them back and put the rears on the front. so I've got some time - but 2 of the 4 tires are worn good.

255/50/R20's

FWD station wagon wears rather front biased - figures.

Options

Eagle RS-A
Nitto NT421Q
Nitto NT 420S
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season
Michelin Premier LTX

The 2016 explorer is not a off roader especially without AWD and the terrarin setup - let alone ride height - so I have no need for any sort of aggressive terrain tires. Noise - Road holding are the primary concern for our use of the car.

Any of you guys ever use either of these tires? Any thoughts on either of them. Price wise and name I'm leaning toward the Pirelli, with the nitto and Michelin as number 2 and 3.

Back