time to upgrade but where to start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

time to upgrade but where to start

ccannelongo79

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport 4x4
i have a 2001 ford explorer sport 4x4 all stock. everything is going on it from just being old and lack of matainence, but i am looking to up grade all suspension components front and rear, as well as getting new wheels and tires. just need a good refernce point on where to go and what parts have worked and what parts dont. i want a small lift nothing radical or extreme just a daily driver light off road and towing 4 wheelers and dirt bikes to the woods. any suggestions and pics would be greatly apreciated. just need mabey 2'' to 3'' of lift would be ideal.

useally doing a lift involes tires and suspension all in one, even those tires are sold aprt from the lift. The real question is what kind of life body or suspension? body lift is ok in my oppion but like the lift is titled it lifts the body. Suspension lift if more ideal because it comes with new shocks and control arms to up grand the suspenion. Eather way you look at it your looking into tires along with the lift!

Wow just saw all my typo's hahaha sorry!

i have a 2001 ford explorer sport 4x4 all stock. everything is going on it from just being old and lack of matainence, but i am looking to up grade all suspension components front and rear, as well as getting new wheels and tires. just need a good refernce point on where to go and what parts have worked and what parts dont. i want a small lift nothing radical or extreme just a daily driver light off road and towing 4 wheelers and dirt bikes to the woods. any suggestions and pics would be greatly apreciated. just need mabey 2'' to 3'' of lift would be ideal.

You can find many posts here on the site with the basic, inexspensive 1.5-2" lift for your sport. That consists of a torsion twist in the front, which once completed you will need to have an alignment done. You have a few options for the rear...one being warrior shackles (or autozone ones)..they provide roughly 1.25-1.75" of lift (some claim 2" as well). You can pick up a leaf spring pack from a 4 door explorer (95-01) and that helps with about a .5-1.5"..maybe more. You can do the add a leaf, which helps give stiffen the rear causing less sagging, generating an additional lift. Though, all the rear suspension mods can give you a little bit of a rake. do not got past 2" on the front with the torsion twist (aka TT)..anymore greatly increases the wear on your CV Joints. Thanks to this forum, i have learned quite a bit about the do's and dont's :)

With those few mods, you can easily clear 32" tires without needing to trim. I stuffed 33's on mine with those and had to trim ever so slightly or for when i was turning did i rub. This can all be done for probably $150 (maybe even less) if you buy new shackles and a leaf pack from a junkyard. Hope this helps :)

Back