• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain...maybe??

c rosso

Reaction score
City, State
London Ontario Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
I have a 98 Ford Explorer EB 4X4. It is on its last legs....253,000 km. but I was hoping to have it hold out until the Summer.
I am female and yes...I admit I know diddley-squat about vehicles, but this forum has helped me in the past :) Newest problem....our temperatures ( I'm in Ontario Canada ) are sitting at -18 C this week and I am having a rough time with the early morning starts. It sputters and tries to stall out, I have to keep it revved for several minutes before I can take my foot off the gas. Because I also need a muffler, my neighbor heard it this a.m and thinks I need a timing chain. When the temperature is a little warmer I have less difficulty getting it started. It can sit all day and start with reasonable ease, its just seems to be that first a.m start.
Would a timing chain problem increase and decrease like this or am I likely looking at something else. I haven't talked to my mechanic but searching a bit on the internet shows me timing chain replacement is pretty pricey.
I also have a block heater, but have never had to use it even when the temps. have dropped to the -30's. Do block heaters ever stop working due to non-use or should to try plugging it in one night?? Been scared to try it :)

you could possibly have leaking intake gaskets, i dont think a timing chain would do that.

Back