Timing Chain replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain replacement

Repair or get a slightly newer Explorer?

• Repair

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Move on to something more recent

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ken Albrecht

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
One-owner '97 Ford Explorer XLT 4wd SOHC 6 cyl 4dr with 280K mileage. Toying with idea of ponying up the $3300 to replace timing chain that is failing versus looking for a replacement 2007-2010 Ford Explorer vehicle. Truck is barely worth any of that 3300 estimate to fix but it's paid for versus on the hook with truck payments if I update into new problems later on with newer (slightly) Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends.........

IF it is just transportation, replace.

IF it is a financial question, replace.

IF you enjoy the current vehicle, with all of its character, quirks and projects, repair.

Good luck.

i just bought a 01 a few months ago for $750 with 180k 2wd....4.0 sohc....
you can find decent 5.0 ones for under $2000 my current daily i paid $350 for (97 5.0 awd leather loaded 220k currently has 232k)

just invest in another 2nd gen 5.0/4.0 ohv and save the 97 for parts or run it til the chains break....thats my plan with the 01....if you want to spend $3300 just get a remain long block motor(jasper), labor will be about $1600 to $2000(16hrs x$100ish) then you know the motor is new....you already paying to pull the motor for the chains...

also the newer explorers are only worth it if you get he 4.6l.... the 3rd gens have the same exact 4.0 sohc with the same exact problems...

I'm in the process of replacing the timing chains in my '01 SOHC Sport Trac. Even doing the work myself I'm figuring I'm going to have to put about $2500 into it (in parts and tools). I had to think long and hard about bothering to invest another $2500 into an '01 (plus putting in my considerable labor), but being it's a Sport Trac and considering what I paid for it almost 5 years ago ($1000) I think I can recoup most or all of it if I sell it in the near future.

I would not attempt making these repairs on a '97 Sport or 4-door Explorer. It's just not worth it. Where I live a clean '97 Expl V6 Expl (without any issues) is worth maybe $1200. With issues it would be worth scrap valve. You can probably pick up an '01 V8 for well under $3000 if you really want to stick with a Gen II Expl. I'm thinking about selling our '02 Mountaineer V8 for about $1500-$1700 and there's nothing wrong with it mechanically.

:( I agree with @koda2000 not worth it even for me to say

Back