• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain Woes

Deputy693

Reaction score
City, State
Check,VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
Bought an 05 with the 4.0 SOHC V-6. Found out today that the timing chain tensioners and guides are worn out.:( It appears the back one was so bad that it let the pistons hit the exhaust valves on that side. Would I be OK just replacing the valves on that head? There does not appear to be any damage to the intake valves. I have already bought new gaskets and head bolts for it. I also bought the entire timing set, chains, guides, gears, etc. Any advice would be appreciated:)

Cant say for 100% but from what I have found the engine will have to be pulled to change the rear guide and set the timing with the timiming tool set you must also get. After all that you may as well have both head rebuilt.

You cant swap it with a 5.0. You need 500 dollars worth of specalty tools just to replace those heads and time the engine. Your best bet is to start sourcing wreckers for a low mileage 4.0l sohc. Any year any model will work from 98 to 2010. Lots of info. Newer the better, post 02 had some supposed updates tp the guides but they are still junk. Just make sure to pull the valve covers off any engine you get to make sure it to has the guides intact as this is a common issue especially with higher mileage. You will have to swap a lot of stuff to but any ranger, explorer, mustang, land rover discovery, and sport trac 4.0SOHC will work.

Back