timing chain woes-need quick response | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

timing chain woes-need quick response

am1

Reaction score
City, State
ellijay,ga.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 explorer xlt 4x4
Greetings all. I own a 1998 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC engine. It presently has 120,000 miles on it. Last week, it suddenly developed the much discussed (& cussed) timing chain rattle. After deep research here on the forums, & after letting 2 other people listen to the engine, I am convinced that I have made the correct diagnosis. Today I contacted 2 of the most reputable mechanics in my immediate area. As soon as I got the words " 4 liter SOHC timing chain" out of my mouth, they both ran like rabbits & said they would not touch my engine for any amount of $$. They told me my only recourse was the local dealership, so I called them & was quoted $1800.00 just for labor! One of the salesmen is a close, personal friend & he advised that there was no way I could fix it myself, the process was just too complex for my limited ability. So, along with the Explorer, I am mulling over trading both it & an '02 Ranger for an '03 Sport Trac, All three with the same engine, the 4.0 SOHC. Before I trade, I need to know If Ford had worked this bug out of this particular engine by the '03 model year. I love the response & power the 4.0 SOHC has, but if this problem is just going to follow me if I switch vehicles, what''s the point? Is everything with this engine In it doomed to the same expensive repair? Help!

I believe if you stick with the '01 and up models, the problem was fixed. Also, if you buy one that had been through the recall for that problem, you should be ok.

the 4.0 sohc engine is poorly designed - if you think better plastic will solve the problem forever (and thats the only change to the rear parts) then think again. The engine will need to be pulled every 150K to stop the noise. However you can ignore the noise at your own risk for over 100K+, its normally just the guide rattling against the chain. Does it go away after running for 5 mins? If so change you oil very regularly. If not put the new hudraulic (oli) tensioner on the rear. (that takes only about 15 mins).

Back